Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tips on gaining a Lovebird's trust?

Default Re: Tips on gaining a Lovebird's trust?

Patience, patience and when you think you are all out of patience, look harder! Parrots are essentially wild animals that have not been domesticated so they retain their wild instincts. They are prey animals so they need to learn by experience that you don't intend to make them your next meal! You know you won't hurt them, but they need to experience it. I would step backwards in your attempts to be able to handle them. Just be near them and talk to them. Eat meals by their cage. Chances are, when they see you eating, they will also eat. Lovebirds are very social. You may even see them show an interest in what you are eating. After all, if it's good for you, sharing is expected!

A trust relationship can take a long time to securely build. Two weeks is nowhere near enough.
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

Default Re: Tips on gaining a Lovebird's trust?

Quote Originally Posted by ellenmellon View Post
    My family and I have two Lovies, Luna and Flasket. They are a pair and are approximately a year old. We bought them from an elderly couple about three months ago. They came in a parrot-sized cage, and we found out the couple had kept them outside in a shed for most of the time they had them. Despite this, both birds seem perfectly healthy; they are eating, drinking, they grind their beaks before they sleep and they like to shout- A LOT.
    We have since moved them into a more suitably-sized cage, which they are much more comfortable to move around in. We have started to try and tame them by holding some millet on a perch, which they have taken on a couple of occasions. However, they are still quite flighty if you stand near their cage, and they tend to panic when we put our hands in to clean the cage. I would really appreciate some tips to try and gain their trust, so that they feel as comfortable as possible.
    Ellen xXx
    Patience is necessary, this usually takes around a week for younger lovebirds but for older ones it is much harder. It took me a few days with Birdy, depending on their personality and age it will vary. But if you treat your lovebird right you will see results. Make sure to hand feed her because that helps with the bonding process.