Thread: A little advice please? :)

Default A little advice please? :)

Hey!First of all thanks for taking the time to read this post.
    Well i finally named my lovebird.I call him Dash. We made a little progress aswell, he eats sunflower seeds from my hands..that is only if I'm holding the seeds with two fingers. Well i did say little progress :P
    He doesn't really play with his toys, and barely used his cuttlebone. AND!! I really have no idea how to bond with him further :|
    Any ideas anyone?

Default Re: A little advice please? :)

Time and patience is key!
    If he is eating out your hand then your halfway there!
    As far as toys some lovebirds never learned to play with them so dont know what to do, you can play with and show him how, they love bells!
    I make my own toys as i find each bird like differaent things once you find out what he likes to play with its easy
    ....Two little birds were on my doorstep, singing sweet songs in a melody pure and true.....

well i make his myself aswell. But I'm afraid he may not be interested in anything -.- :P

One of the appealing traits of lovebirds are their curiosity! Once they know that toys are for playing, they will love it! Swings are generally favorites, as well as bells. Just make sure the bells are totally safe. Sometimes it's easy for them to take clappers off bells. Others have managed to get beaks caught in jingle bell type bells. I buy half coconut shells and turn those into swings. Many of mine even love to sleep in them. It's quite comical to see 2 lovies in a shell that really should only hold one!

Bubbleking is right. Patience and help him to learn if he doesn't know how.
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

Thanks guys.Really appreciate it
    Funny thing about swings..Dash never uses his!

He's probably not used to a perch that moves...... I've had a few that really know how to get a swing moving without any human help!
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

Time and patience is the key. It took about two weeks before mine jumped on my shoulders. At first she wanted nothing to do with me, but everyday I would sit beside her cage by talking to her and playing with her toys. She was quite curious as to what as I doing. You have to remember that the trust issue is on their terms, not yours. Of course you have the best of intentions for your little luvvy, but he or she doesn't know that yet. Believe me, if you interac with them everyday, even the slightiest little progress is better than nothing at all.
    Marie-Sonia and Coco
    I can find God in nature, in animals, in birds and the environment.

Quote Originally Posted by linda040899 View Post
    He's probably not used to a perch that moves...... I've had a few that really know how to get a swing moving without any human help!
    That is just what i thought..anyways to help him overcome it?

Quote Originally Posted by mariesonia View Post
    Time and patience is the key. It took about two weeks before mine jumped on my shoulders. At first she wanted nothing to do with me, but everyday I would sit beside her cage by talking to her and playing with her toys. She was quite curious as to what as I doing. You have to remember that the trust issue is on their terms, not yours. Of course you have the best of intentions for your little luvvy, but he or she doesn't know that yet. Believe me, if you interac with them everyday, even the slightiest little progress is better than nothing at all.
    That really helped.Thanks