Thread: feeding problems

Default feeding problems

Okay so I have these pair if peach face lovies that are really cute and I love them Its just when ever I feed them they'll eat some but then they'll take there food and water dishes and take them off the sides of the cage
    I've tried securing them to the sides of the cage but they've managed a way still to take them off any help?

Default Re: feeding problems

these cups hang froma piece of flexible metal on both left and right side? if they are the kind i think you can wrap a rubber band around the ends on the outside of the cage,hopefully they won't be able to reach to chew them. or switch the type of dish, they have screw on dishes that work well, just a pain to unscrew each time you fill them.there are also special larger clip on feeder dishes, they are usually used for birds who throw food around, but you could try those. they look like a plastic three sided hut with an inside perch for the bird to climb in and eat and should be too heavy to dislodge.there are a lot of options, go on amazon and pet bird supply sites to see. post a picture of the cups if you want.
    Dorothy

Fun is tossing the food dish (and water dish) off the side bars of the cage!!!!! It's a great game to watch the cup fall to the floor of the cage!!! When I run into that situation, I buy 10 oz. stainless steel cups that fit neatly into a hoop that screws tightly to the side of the cage. My larger parrots can loosen them but I've not found a lovebird that can.
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

linda, i totally forgot about those, brain freeze! getting tooo old, too much stuff up in my head, either there is no longer a retrieval system available for it or it fell out my ears!lol Dorothy

Quote Originally Posted by linda040899 View Post
    Fun is tossing the food dish (and water dish) off the side bars of the cage!!!!! It's a great game to watch the cup fall to the floor of the cage!!! When I run into that situation, I buy 10 oz. stainless steel cups that fit neatly into a hoop that screws tightly to the side of the cage. My larger parrots can loosen them but I've not found a lovebird that can.
    Dittos cage has food bowls like that except the loops are attatched to doors that swing out and the screws are on the outside. So even if he knew how to turn them he can't get to them.

His pellet bowl just hooks onto the cage bars but he only unhooks one side. It's a little too heavy for him to unhook the other side too. either that or he just doesn't try hard enough. He prefers just to bang it to make noise.
    Dave and Ditto (he still lets me list my name first)

I have the same cups for Max. When he throws a temper tantrum and wants out of the cage, he grabs the "foot stool" of the food and water cups with his beak, lifts it up and lets it fall so that it makes a loud noise. Does it over and over again. It's really funny to see him quickly move out of the way as the cup falls
    Happiness is spending time with your lovebird

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie View Post
    I have the same cups for Max. When he throws a temper tantrum and wants out of the cage, he grabs the "foot stool" of the food and water cups with his beak, lifts it up and lets it fall so that it makes a loud noise. Does it over and over again. It's really funny to see him quickly move out of the way as the cup falls
    Ditto bangs his pellet bowl then does his dance when he wants out. In fact he's dancing right now, gotta go!
    Dave and Ditto (he still lets me list my name first)