Thread: One-Legged Lovebird Training Tips

Default One-Legged Lovebird Training Tips

Hello All,

My husband and I just got a 3 month old hand-fed, tame lovebird. He is adjusting well to his new home and he is eating and drinking and playing with his toys. We are letting him get used to us and trying to take things really slowly (per the advice in other threads).

However, I have seen that the usual first thing you try to get a tame lovebird to do is step up on your finger. Our bird, Bernie, actually lost a foot when he was very young. The breeder thinks his parents might have bit it off accidentally. Bernie gets around okay with just the one foot, but I think it will be hard for him to learn the step up move. Should I just try to have the finger lower for him to step onto? Is there another first step we could try to get him to do? I appreciate any help!

Default Re: One-Legged Lovebird Training Tips

Congratulations on your new lovebird! It's truly amazing how well parrots can adapt to handicaps!!

When he is ready to step up onto your hand, perhaps offer the back of your hand for him to hop onto. I would start with something wider than your finger. If he's like any of my smaller parrots, he won't stay on your finger for very long anyway!! Lovebirds are normally very active and he will want to check out your person to see what you are all about.

What kind of lovebird do you have? How old is he?
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

Default Re: One-Legged Lovebird Training Tips

Thanks Linda!

Yes, we are amazed how well he can get around without the second foot! We will try your suggestions. He is a peach-faced lovebird and he's 12 weeks old.