Thread: Help needed

Default Help needed

Hi I'm Matt. I'm completely new to this forum and would like some help. I got Rudy (Fischer)
    Harley (Dutch blue) a month ago they are now 5 months old and not handreared. For the first week they were very scared of me and everyone, but after spending a lot of time around them they are a lot more confident around me and will just carry on when I'm enter the room, but whenever I stand near their cage they flutter away and hide but when I sit as close as possible the just carry on and actually show a lot of interest in me. I was just wondering how to get them to be less scared of me when standing and begin to become tame.

Many thanks, Matt

Default Re: Help needed

Hi Matt and welcome to Lovebirds Plus Community!

Parrots learn trust by experience so spending time with them will allow them to learn you don't intend to make them your next meal! Birds are prey animals so first inclination is to flee that which makes you uncomfortable. Many parrots just don't like hands and perches may work better for picking them up. All love creatures will respond to love, kindness and patience. Give them a bit more time.
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

When you're in the room with them, talk to them. And as long as you don't mind people thinking your nuts, speak their language. My guys love it when I squeak at them.

I got 3 birds from Linda back in July who were wild and now while I can't handle them yet, I can talk to them, and they will come up to me when I come to the cage. They actually call out to me when I come home from work!
    Dave and Ditto (he still lets me list my name first)

Red face Re: Help needed

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Taxman View Post
    When you're in the room with them, talk to them. And as long as you don't mind people thinking your nuts, speak their language. My guys love it when I squeak at them.

I got 3 birds from Linda back in July who were wild and now while I can't handle them yet, I can talk to them, and they will come up to me when I come to the cage. They actually call out to me when I come home from work!
    I agree with Taxman, my lovie hadn't been handtamed at all and had rarely seen people asides from getting food and very basic cage cleaning. I personally started out by talking to him, both with words and whistles, clicks, and even smooching sounds. When he started responding back, I slowly started to introduce my hand as a non-threat. To do this, I simply stood back a few feet from the cage with my hand outstretched, palm facing the cage, even occasionally wriggling my fingers. The more comfortable he became the closer I brought my hand, until I was able to reach into the cage.
    I personally would say to not try to grab the bird yourself, rather allow the bird to make the first move onto your hand.

Sorry for such a long reply, but hope this helps even a little! (Please remember this was my personal experience, and may or may not work with other birds.)

Thanks for the help 😊