Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A New Companion for Jasper

Default A New Companion for Jasper

After Jasmine died on 1/12/17, Jasper was inconsolable. He looked so lost and alone, I decided perhaps he needed another companion, if nothing else to keep him company.

I looked around and I have an extra female Creamino in my lanai aviary who is 6 years old. She was part of a trio that were living together (no aggression) but she was odd lady out. I pulled her this morning and immediately found a problem that wasn't visible unless she was up close and personal. Somehow she managed to get her back short toe caught in her legband and she's been living with it that way, no injury to the toe but it was unusable.

I waited for my daughter to get up and she helped me release the toe. However, I found another problem that was well hidden under her feathers that will need surgery to correct. She has the same lump on her neck that Jasmine has, only a LOT smaller. Her feathering covered it completely so it will not be as complicated to remove (hopefully). I will call my avian vet on Monday and schedule a look/see appointment and go from there. This little hen is in excellent health so the prognosis should be pretty good. Will update this thread as things develop.
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

Default Re: A New Companion for Jasper

Poor Jasper. Hopefully things work out with the new girlfriend!
    Dave and Ditto (he still lets me list my name first)

How sad for Jasper...so heartbreaking.

I hope the vet visit goes ok with the Creamino.
    Happiness is spending time with your lovebird

Buttercup is younger than Jasmine and is physically stronger. That should work in her favor, plus the lump isn't near as large as Jasmine's was. I don't want to drag my feed on this one.
    Linda L.

I'll say a little prayer ❤️

Buttercup went to see my avian vet this morning and she's doing well. She weighs 54 grams and has good muscle mass. The lump on the side of her face is different than Jasmine's was. This one is higher up, near the jawbone area rather than on the neck. It appears to be filled with cholesterol type cells rather than anything else. My vet took a sample from the inside and said this is a different kind of growth. Not life threatening and we will not do anything if it doesn't get any larger. My vet took some dimension measurements and we will recheck in a month. If no growth, we will leave it alone. I honestly cannot say how long this lump has been there, as it's not noticeable unless Buttercup turns her head to the right and even then you really have to be looking to see it.

For now, Jasper is very happy and I don't want to rock that boat unless it's absolutely necessary!!!
    Linda L.

Well that's good. Are they getting along?
    Dave and Ditto (he still lets me list my name first)

Jasper absolutely LOVES Buttercup! At night, and many times during the day, it's hard to slide a piece of paper between them! My vet also looked at the toe that had been caught in the legband and it's nice and pink, good blood flow.

The recheck is scheduled for 2/18/17 and I'm hoping it's the same size. Buttercup is a really nice hen.
    Linda L.

Quote Originally Posted by linda040899 View Post
    Jasper absolutely LOVES Buttercup! At night, and many times during the day, it's hard to slide a piece of paper between them! My vet also looked at the toe that had been caught in the legband and it's nice and pink, good blood flow.

The recheck is scheduled for 2/18/17 and I'm hoping it's the same size. Buttercup is a really nice hen.
    "Hard to slide a piece of paper between them". SOOOOOO CUTE!!!!❤️❤️❤️

I'm so glad Buttercup is doing well and that Jasper is happy with his new lady friend.
    A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song. Jst ignore any missing "U"s, the bird ate my keyboard.