Thread: What Should I Do?

Unhappy What Should I Do?

I have a dilemma to solve: I am planning to join the US Navy, but what I plan on doing requires me to stay for at least 5 years. I will be allowed vacation days, of course, but to be honest I am extremely nervous about leaving my lovie Pixel for so long, the longest I've ever gone without seeing him is 2 months (during summer vacation, I live 2 states away with my dad and his family, I can't bring Pixel due to their animals and the stress of travel.) My mother and stepfather have already stated that they'd take care of him while I was gone until he passes, but then I'd feel horrible for not being around for that. I have had Pixel since he was 8 months old (he is going to be 7 this May).

It may sound stupid, but Pixel is the deciding factor as to whether I go through with joining.

Default Re: What Should I Do?

It may sound stupid, but Pixel is the deciding factor as to whether I go through with joining.
    I'm probably the wrong person to be answering your question but I've refused to do quite a few things because it would require me to be away from my birds for a length of time or it would require me to rehome all of them. My birds are my family and with me, it's all or nothing. You are Pixel's world and even should you leave for 5 years, you would be welcomed back, although Pixel would let you know that what you did was NOT acceptable to him!!!

Hopefully, others will chime in on this.
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

Default Re: What Should I Do?

Depending on what you want to do and why you want to join. You could always look into a Naval Reserve unit. Aside from initial training, 1 weekend a month and 2 weeks a year (Assuming they don't differ from other services reserves). You could stay in one spot, would obviously need a civilian job though as well, and then if you want moving to full time isn't too hard, as you have the training and a lot of the paper work out of the way. Depending on the reserve unit you could also end up working as a full time reservist as well.

If you are talking to a recruiter already, be sure to talk to the reservist recruiter separately. Each one is basically trying to make a sale, so they'll skewer your opinion about the other. I spent some time in the Army Reserves including helping at recruitment drives, I was the guy the kids asked when they wanted the straight answer from someone who didn't benefit from them signing.