Thread: I may have made a mistake

Unhappy I may have made a mistake

So I've got this beautiful little Lovebird whom is a very social little ray of sunshine. (As a result, I named him Photon)

But I am beginning to thing that it was irresponsible of me to bring him home.
    I purchased him from a breeder back in November.
    I thought I was finally ready to have a feathery friend part of the family. Now I think I may have been too hasty.
    When I got him I worked a fairly laid back job with decent hours.

But now my life has suddenly become stupidly busy. I am in school full time, with work on the weekends and i'm getting married. When I brought him home, my income was decently stable. But now I barely make enough money to scrape by myself, let alone take care of Photon. And when I get home I am just so exhausted I can't keep up with him anymore.

I feel awful because he is just the sweetest little guy (even if he is in that beaky teenager phase) and he deserves the best. Which is something I feel I can't provide for him.

I thought I was ready to provide for a bird for years to come.
    I thought I was ready to keep up with the time and attention they need.
    But I was wrong. I was so wrong.

What do I do?

Default Re: I may have made a mistake

Several of my parrots have been with me for over 25 years. I've gone through many, many changes but I made a commitment to them and they are part of my family. When my husband so critically ill, I spent the better part of a year going to work in the morning, going to the hospital to be with him and finally getting home around 11:00 pm. My parrots still welcomed me home and were happy to see me. Many times, all the time I had was to feed, clean cages and interact with them for short periods of time. Then.....my schedule changed again and I was happy to still have my parrots, as they were of great comfort to me in my time of loss.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, that even if you spend a little bit of time with Photon, it may be better than if you rehome him. Rehoming is an option, as long as you are very sure of where he will be going and the kind of care he will be getting.

This is a hard decision. Best of luck with it.

Anyone else?????????
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

I'll have to agree with Linda on this one.

I see Max as my son. As crazy as that may sound to someone, it's not crazy to me. I would never rehome Max, just as I would never rehome my own child (if I had one).

When you love someone or something, you make time for them, no matter how busy you are. There are days when I am so busy but I make time for Max even though I'm dead tired. I'll play with him and do whatever it takes to keep him happy.

I made the commitment to this sweet little soul and he is now my responsibility for the rest of his life.

Thats my two cents, whatever it's worth. 😊❤️
    Happiness is spending time with your lovebird

place an advert in your local vets to rehome him, you should investigate new homes thoroughly before you le thim go... good luck

Hi I'm a new mom of 2 lovies who've just had 5 babies but they mean the world to me my mummy bird nearly drowned the other day she fell in a vase of flower water and my neighbour found her and I sobbed my heart out coz I thought she was going to die but she was fine once I dried her off and she went back to her babies who are doing great I will do a video and upload it soon I've got a little clip of there cage and nest box but honestly you will miss little photon if you decide to remove but it's up to you hunny at the end of the day good luck xxxxx