Thread: Do it yourself coconut hut

Default Do it yourself coconut hut

Hi everyone,

So, today I tried making Max a little coconut hut. Didn't work out as I had hoped. This is where I failed. I read online that the best way to remove the coconut meat is to put the coconut in the oven for about 15 mins. After I drained the coconut and cut the opening, I put it in the oven. When I went to take it out it had split. I guess the high temperature made it crack.

Here's the pics I took...from my IG account....
    https://www.instagram.com/jenlovesmax/

Is there a better way to cut open a hole (I used a hacksaw) and is there a better way to remove the flesh?
    Also, what's the safest rope/twine to use for their toys? I found jute twine and sisal twine at the dollar store but I'm thinking I should go to Michaels and find something that says 100% natural.

I'm determined to do this so any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Maxie; 03-15-2017 at 06:29 PM.
    Happiness is spending time with your lovebird

Default Re: Do it yourself coconut hut

Coconuts are fairly easy to crack, as long as you scope out the shell anatomy before you do it. On one end of the coconut, there look like what appear to be 3 round dot like markings. Those are soft and you can remove the "plugs" to let the coconut milk drain out of the shell. Once that's done, if you look at the shell, you can actually see a seam in the shell where the shell will separate. If you search YouTube, I found a video that explains how to strike the shell so that it will split in half.

To remove the meat of the coconut, soak the pieces in water for about 30 minutes and you can scoop out the meat.

If you don't want to go through the effort of doing your own, here's the easy way.....
    https://www.onlineseashells.com/real...ells-s/170.htm

All my lovebirds and my quaker LOVE their coconut shell swings!!!!! I use chain instead of any kind of sisal or jute. I don't want to take the chance of one of my birds chewing on and ingesting material that may not be digested.
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

Well, I'm attempting coconut number 3...lol. The second one had a crack so it messed it up.

Max loves his coconut toy too...I got it from a pet store. I want to get one where he can sit in but the ones they sell are too small.

What I want to do is cut a hole on each end....kind of like a happy hut.

I found that after I drain the water out and cut the coconut, if I put it in the oven for five mins at 400F, the flesh comes off soooo easily. If this one doesn't work out, I'll be making coconut cream pies!

Thanks for the tips and the link Linda!

Success!!!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRtcS9yD...by=jenlovesmax

So, the key is starting with a good strong coconut.

I'm so happy! Now, let's see if Max will be😂😂