Thread: Time to Allow Freedom?

Question Time to Allow Freedom?

I've had Pixel ever since he was 8 months old, and have constantly been handling him and cuddling with him since day 1. Needless to say, I know for a fact that we have bonded in a sense of he trusts me and knows I'm no threat.
    My previous two lovies came from a close friend who happened to also be a breeder, and as such both were hand-tamed and could be trusted to stay on a perch until I came close enough for them to fly onto (no harness or tether of any kind were placed on them, they could absolutely have flown off if they so desired.)
    Pixel, however, had come from an animal shelter, and when the staff was attempting to catch him, ended up having to place a towel over him to get him to stop flying around.

I guess long story short, I've had Pixel for what will be 7 years this December with constant handling, and I want to see if I can give him that same freedom as with Kiddo and Storm, however, I am extremely nervous that Pixel will try to fly off someplace and get hurt. Any suggestions as to what I should do? Either to help bird-safe the house or otherwise? Help is extremely welcome and appreciated!

Default Re: Time to Allow Freedom?

Each parrot is different so this is not an easy question to answer. I have many parrots and amount of freedom varies. Since I have larger and smaller parrots, I have to be careful about who is out when and how far the little ones can go.

Since our homes are not natural living places for birds, a certain amount of care and birdproofing are necessary. I have ceiling fans which are only on if parrots are secure in their cages or their flight feathers have been mini clipped so they can't fly that high. Be aware of anything that they can potentially destroy and either remove it or find a way to prevent them from reaching it. I purposely have screened in areas on the outside of all doors that lead to the outside. It's a fail safe that will still contain them should a door be left open and the fly through it. No one is out of their cages when I am cooking.

None of my parrots are out of their cages when no one is home unless I'm VERY sure they will stay where I leave them.

You may want to try a mini wing clip with Pixel, say 2 primary flights on each wing. If he's a strong flyer, you might need to do 3 but I would start with 2 and see the results. As long as you and everyone else is careful, it should be OK.
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

Thanks for the response, though I'm a little unsure of how to go about mini-clipping his wings. He has his full wings, and I have never bothered to clip them partially due to what happened with Storm, who had fully clipped wings. And I believe he had his full feathers when I got him from the shelter as well. I know how to clip wings, but only when it comes to birds that are used to having their wings clipped.
    Last edited by PixelRPG; 03-20-2017 at 01:46 PM.

I'm wondering if you've ever let him out of the cage at all in seven years?
    Happiness is spending time with your lovebird

A mini clip is simply clipping a couple of flights (2 feathers) vs clipping enough to limit flight to horizontal and then glide to a landing. To do a mini clip, spread each wing and just clip the outside 2 primary flight feathers. This is just a suggestion. Should you choose to just let Pixel out of his cage fully flighted, it may amaze you as to just how well birds fly.
    Linda L.

He has been out of his cage, however I've always been holding him.

Since he is used to being with you, you may find that if you leave the cage door open, he will simply come find you! Lovebirds are very social and many who are bonded with their humans will want to be velcroed to that human 24/7!
    Linda L.

I wouldn't worry about him at all. Lovebirds are great flyers! One thing I would do is if you have any mirrors in the house, bring him up to them and let his beak touch the mirror. I did this before I let Max fly free in the house. I didn't want him to fly into the mirrors and I found that by doing this, he knew not to.

Be sure all doors and windows are closed and draw your curtains or blinds so he doesn't try to fly thru a window and get hurt.

Good luck 😊
    Happiness is spending time with your lovebird

Quote Originally Posted by linda040899 View Post
    Since he is used to being with you, you may find that if you leave the cage door open, he will simply come find you! Lovebirds are very social and many who are bonded with their humans will want to be velcroed to that human 24/7!
    I agree with Linda. If you've always been holding him he may not fly around at all.

My ditto was like that. He could do whatever he pleased but when I opened the cage he'd fly to me and that's it. Unless it was to go back to the cage to grab a snack and bring it back to eat with me.
    Dave and Ditto (he still lets me list my name first)