Thread: Scared lovebird

Default Scared lovebird

We adopted Charles lovebird Apr 23 this year from spca. We were told he was pecked at by crows and is missing feathers. We quickly realized he is plucking himself. He shakes and breathes heavy every time we go near him. He has been to the vets twice now and they say he has gained weight which is good. However, by nighttime he finally will get comfortable enough to take millet from my hand but then it's bedtime and we start all over again, scared in the morning. I can't get anywhere near him to touch him and he won't sit on me or a stick. I've tried every suggestion to calm him online. I just want him to stop shaking and being so afraid! Every morning I feel like we are starting from scratch.

Default Re: Scared lovebird

Every bird is different when it comes to their socialization needs. A bird like Charles that has been through trauma may require particular patience. It does sound like you are already making progress with him, even though there may be setbacks.

What works for one bird may not work for the next. What calms one bird may frighten another. I have recently begun the process of easing a previously abused bird that my mother rescued but is losing the ability to care for, into my good graces. It has been painfully difficult for the bird, even having had a loving home for some years. (In fact, that is why I came to the forum this fine morning to field some advice from the big bird experts!)

I can tell you only what has worked for me in the past, what I would try, Which is first, to acclimate Charles to his living situation, make his home a place where he feels comfortable and secure, establish as much a routine as possible, and try to let him know that I am a member of his flock that he can rely on and trust.

I find that small birds and ones that have been through a trauma in particular, often like to have hiding places in their cages. Nothing unsafe, just things they can perch inside and position themselves behind. Let Charles know that there are places in his house that are HIS, and ONLY HIS, i.e. most of my birds have at least one place in their cages that they can go when they do not want to be touched, and barring an emergency, or if the item desperately requires cleaning/replacing, I do not touch. (If you have something like a bed, tent or preferred perch- especially one with a blanket or fleece fringe, something to cuddle or hide inside or behind, that would work perfectly for this purpose.)

My birds step up from everywhere else in their cages. I will leave step-up training advice to others.

It may be simply as you observed, that you are starting again anew each day from step one. I have had birds with whom it felt like that for long periods of time, and they did come around eventually with patience. It may also be that Charles is calmer and more comfortable at the end of the day, that he prefers contact at this time. Some of my birds have a preferred time of the day when they like to have close social contact with us humans and are put out if we press them to do it at other times. The goal being to ease Charles toward feeling happier and more comfortable with his situation, and wanting to spend more of the day in contact with you, perhaps start by attempting late-in-the-day visits to see if he stays calmer.

During the other parts of the day perhaps attempt affectionate overtures without asking Charles for anything in return. Sit or stand near his house, try to be calm and relaxed yourself if possible, and sing or talk softly. I do not know his history or how much he understands, (or, in general, how much English lovebirds are able to truly understand, but they do eventually pick up enough of what we are saying to respond to praise and commands, to make the connection between the words "treats" and "food' and the items they represent, to recognize their own names and the names of their flock mates.... (my lovebirds have small vocabulary that includes the ability to ask for treats and to contact call members of the flock by name) in short, it is worth it to talk to them and seems to evoke a positive emotional response.) Giving gentle praise and treats to a skittish bird who stays near to me when I talk to him (just close by in his cage) to let him know that I appreciate his company is a tactic I have used successfully in the past to begin forming a bond of trust.

This is quickly growing to novel length and I do not want to overwhelm. I hope some of my experience may help you with Charles, at least a little. In time he will warm to you, and as you get to know each other, his needs and preferences will not be so mysterious. Good luck!
    Midi,
    Frey, Odie , Auri, Fili , Mae, Burbank , Iris & Hermes