Thread: My male lovebird is OBCESSED with master bating...

Unhappy My male lovebird is OBCESSED with master bating...

And not just that, but what naturally displays his love - regurgitating his food when he does this, every time! So much so that his toys are covered in gross!!
    How on earth (aside from
    Getting him a gf) do I stop him from being so sexual??? Why is he like this?? He's a teenager, I get it, but omg! At first it was funny, but it's been months of him doing this...
    help?

Default Re: My male lovebird is OBCESSED with master bating...

Hi and welcome to Lovebirds Plus Community!

Ah, yes. You have a male lovebird and he's showing affection for anything and everything he feeds! Males self-satisfy, females lay eggs. Flip a coin and take your choice!

This is not something that will change but perhaps try distracting him. In the wild, parrots forage for food all day long and it keeps them quite busy. In captivity, food is readily available so there's plenty of time for things they don't have time for in the wild! Start slowly and begin making his food a bit harder to find. You can put a bowl or basket on the bottom of his cage and hide food in shredded paper so he has to root around to find it. Finger traps make excellent things to stuff with food, like Nutriberries or Avi-cakes.

Good luck!
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

I have a male lovebird who is likes yours. He is 4 yrs old. He likes to do it in on my hand & also feeds me. LOL! I guess I'm his mate. Nothing I have done distracts him from doing his thing. I just live with it.

A mate may not stop this behavior. My nine-year-old male lovebird, Odie, has a mate to whom he is strongly bonded and come spring time... well, let's just say though he has slowed down a bit from the first year, his mate cannot keep up with him. He usually slows down this behavior quite a bit after the springtime months have ended.

Things to perhaps try... though your mileage may vary.

Changing their toys frequently, which you're probably already doing due to the mess, but figured I'd throw that out there! A perch-style "tent" instead of a "happy hut" helped with the first season I had hormonal trouble with my quaker. With my lovebirds and quaker, their toys go fast, so I tend to use mostly stainless steel skewers/stainless steel rings/toy bowls (they're washable/re-usable) combined with inexpensive toy parts that can be thrown away. They're also great for making foraging toys, which as Linda mentioned can be a great distraction.
    Midi,
    Frey, Odie , Auri, Fili , Mae, Burbank , Iris & Hermes