Thread: Progress

Red face Progress

Hi everyone, since my last post I have made quite a bit of progress. I now feel more of a bond between me and my birds. They will tweet back when I whistle to them and will come over to the cage to see what I'm doing. Today my female came very close to my finger as I put it between the bars, she seemed to debate with herself over exploring it or not. Am I right in thinking that nips can be something other than in attack? She also ate a chip through the bars from my fingers. I'm unsure what to do and would love some advice 😀

Default Re: Progress

Great! You really have made some progress! Winning the trust of any parrot can take time, as they need to learn trust through experience. You are definitely on the right track!

Nips that draw blood are due to fear. In a cage, there is no exit to flee so they defend themselves. Other nips can be positive. I have several who LOVE to nibble on my fingers and that's a sign they feel safe to be that close to me.

All you can do is follow their lead. Offer them food that you are eating (no avocado, no chocolate, nothing fried) and they will view you as wanting to become one of their flock.
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

I would like to ask what you think the best way to get your bird to eat a treat through the bars would be because I'm struggling to tempt her again are there any similar techniques?

About all you can do is use a treat that she already likes and try just holding it in your fingers near the bars of the cage. Your fingers are the issue for her and she doesn't trust them. Let her come to you and she will when she feels more confident that she isn't going to be your next meal.
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.