Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tipping over the food trays

Default Tipping over the food trays

Okay... Before I went to my vacation, Pip and Emma had these food and water trays outside the cage. It is rectangular with a cap on it that has an opening for the head to peek through and eat the food. This is so that I would not get bitten when I change their trays.

During my holiday I entrusted my birds to my aunt, and somehow she kind of well... messed up the feeding technique. Instead of placing the trays outside, she placed it inside, and the caps had gone missing. Ever since then, Pip and Emma had always tipped over their water and food trays.

Today was... eventful. I cleaned up their messes thrice due to the problem. I asked my aunt to try and find the caps so that they can eat the way they did before, and no messes will be made. It truly breaks my heart to see the birds so excited to eat from a container I'm using as a substitute because they tipped over their food so early in the morning.

How do I prevent them tipping over their trays? It wastes food, since the food spills over to their droppings tray, and it is tiring to clean up. Especially since I'm going to start school soon; if this happens while I'm away, they might starve.

Please help me.

And sorry if I have been asking so much lately.

Love,
    xxneeks23xx

Default Re: Tipping over the food trays

What you are saying is hard to visualize. Can you share some photos of what the food/water dish set up looks like?
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

http://s1064.photobucket.com/user/xx...9.jpg.html?o=0

This is an image of the food tray placed inside the cage. I'm not sure if it is visible or not, it is at the bottom of the cage. The tray is supposed to be outside, not inside

http://s1064.photobucket.com/user/xx...d.jpg.html?o=1

This is an image of the food tray they use. There is a lid on it, kind of like a covered food tray, with a hole big enough for the head to peek through. The lid is missing.

The links will not let me open them. Something about 3rd party hosting.
    Linda L.

Ah crap. Let me try again.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/152734...posted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/152734...posted-public/

Will this work now? I just read a post here that Photobucket can't be all trusted, so I tried using Flickr.

I hate to tell you this but you need to change your birds cage right away. Round cages are the worse cages you can have for a bird. They are detrimental to a parrots psychological health. So before you do anythin with the food cups, get a new rectangular or square cage.
    Happiness is spending time with your lovebird

Oh yes, I do know about that. My dad and my aunt decided to buy one as soon as possible.

Could a round cage possibly be the cause of their mischievousness?

I have to agree about the round cage. This is the first time I've seen a photo of it and rectangular long is MUCH better. They need wooden perches. Plastic is very hard on tender birdie feet.

Parrots are, by nature, mischievious! Give them things to chew up and destroy and they are happy! I use only wooden perches and I offer wooden or bamboo toys they can tear apart. I don't offer bells or mirrors and I don't like toys that use cotton, as cotton can be chewed and ingested but not digested.
    Linda L.