Thread: Will he still love me?

Default Will he still love me?

Hi, I have a male lovebird who is almost 2 years old. He was hand fed and is super tame. I think he might be getting lonely, so I was thinking of getting a male buddy for him. But I'm worried it will change him. Currently he loves to be cuddled and rubbed and wags his tail to greet me. If I was to get another whom I spent equal time with and bonded with, would my relationship with my current one change? If they got along they would share the same cage also. Please help if you have experience with this kinda thing. ☺

I don't want to ruin his cuddly spirit.

Default Re: Will he still love me?

Two male lovebirds are usually happy campers together. I've done this on a number occasions and had no problems as long as they like each other. I would keep them, initially, in side by side cages for introductions but they should have no problems being together after that.

If your lovebird enjoys attention from you, as long as you continue the interaction with him, you should not lose anything. I have at least one male who has a female companion who also enjoys human attention/interaction. I would make sure you get the same species (if you have a Peachfaced, get a Peachfaced) and make sure you get a male. DNA sexed would be a good idea.

Good luck!
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.