Thread: Can I move my baby lovebirds to a bigger nest box?Will the parents Attack or abandon?

Question Can I move my baby lovebirds to a bigger nest box?Will the parents Attack or abandon?

Hi guys!

I’m a new bird owner and I would appreciate your help with my question.

My lovebird pair recently hatched 4 eggs in a coconut shell style hut. The babies are about 10 days old and already I’m seeing that it’s gettinb a bit cramped in there.

My question is - Can I buy a proper box for the babies and put them in there, and then move this bigger box back to the nest? Will the parents Attack or abandon the babies if I do?

Also I noticed that my female lovebird is starting to shred paper again. Is this normal?

Default Re: Can I move my baby lovebirds to a bigger nest box?Will the parents Attack or aban

Hi and welcome to Lovebirds Plus Community!

I would love to see a photo of the coconut shell that is home to the babies right now. To share photos here, you must first upload them to an online storage site such as Flickr and then copy/paste the photo URL here. Chances are the babies will outgrow the shell but how big they are in relation to where they are will give me a better idea of what to suggest.

Congratulations on the 4 babies! Lovebird parents really do make great parents!
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

Default Re: Can I move my baby lovebirds to a bigger nest box?Will the parents Attack or aban

Hi Linda! Thank you so much for your help. I didn’t see your response earlier and I ended up changing the coconut shell to a Vision nesting box. The parents are completely ignoring the babies now and it’s making me panic. What should I do? I wanted the babies to be parent raised as I don’t have the time to handfeed the chicks. Please help me. At the end of the day all I want is the parents to be with their chicks as one happy family

Please help me

See my message in the Lovebird Breeding forum. You may be able to move the chicks, but not the way you did it.
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.