Thread: Taming Tango

Default Taming Tango

Hi everyone! I got my baby on Tuesday October 24th so about a week and a half ago.
    He was hand raised, but was with other lovebirds for about a week prior to me getting him. He was pretty hand shy at first. He is about 11 weeks old I feed him Millet and seed by hand everyday. Yesterday he stepped on my hand twice to eat. Sometimes he keeps feet on a perch and will lay his chest on my palm while eating Millet.
    Is there anything else I can do to work with him? I can't wait till he wants pet and cuddles. I ordered him an activity center for when he is out of the cage.

Default Re: Taming Tango

Hi and welcome to Lovebirds Plus Community! Congratulations on your new lovebird! Sounds like he is doing just fine.

As far as taming, you are doing exactly what you should be doing. You are taking things slowly and letting him learn that you mean him no harm. He's in a strange environment and birds are prey animals. He will learn to trust you but it will take a while, sometimes a couple of weeks, sometimes months or even more. From what you are saying, he's learning quickly.

In addition to seed, try offering fresh veggies...fresh shredded carrot, peas, kale, collard greens, broccoli, string bean and even sugar snap peas. Lafebers Nutriberries and Avi-Cakes are also good nutrition for him.
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.