Thread: New bird twitching tail

Default New bird twitching tail

We just adopted 2 love birds yesterday and the female has been sitting up in this corner twitching her tail like this almost the whole time.. we have been giving them space and she has come down a few times but she's always doing that tail thing.. is this normal when they are scared? The male hasn't been doing it
    https://vimeo.com/241763549/recommended

Default Re: New bird twitching tail

Hi and welcome to Lovebirds Plus Community!

Has the tail twitching changed since you did the video? My first thought might be nervousness but my gut feeling says a vet check is in order if it's still the same. If nothing else, a vet check up will establish a health baseline for one or both of them so you know who they were when you got them should any health problems develop.
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

She stopped doing it when she thinks we aren't in the room and when she's sleeping. Son thankfully my initial fear of it being a breathing problem has been put to rest.
    These two have had babies before so my other worry was maybe she's ready to lay eggs and is in a panic because she's not comfortable here. She was outside most of the time (unless we had bad weather) so I'm thinking it's just fear now.
    Should I get her a nesting box? Maybe just hiding in it will help her become more confident

Sounds like she just reacted to a new environment. Parrots are prey animals and they are always on alert for predators. She feels comfortable as long as no one is around. This behavior a almost expected in the first month or so.

I don't know if I would be too quick to offer a nest box, as that will also encourage breeding. I think being around them and just talking to them will help them understand you mean them no harm. Parrots learn trust by experience and they need to experience their new environment.
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.