Thread: Working home and a lovebird

Default Working home and a lovebird

Hi everybody; I'm going to have a little parrot, I've not yet definitely decided which one, but most likely it will be a fischer or yellow-collared/masked lovebird (still collecting information)
    My question is related to the fact that I work home, and I live in a little house, kind of big main room, a little hallway (in which I think I'm going to put the cage), and of course a sleeping room. So, aside from the time I'll spend interacting and playing with the little one, will he be too "demanding" in my working hours, during which I need to concentrate? I mean, feeling that I am home, will he keep on calling and look for me? I could put him in the sleeping room during my working hours, but I wouldn't want him to take it as a sort of punishment..

Default Re: Working home and a lovebird

Hi and welcome to Lovebirds Plus Community!

All parrots are social and love the company of those they live with. Lovebirds are no exception. Toys may keep him entertained but it would be easier for him/her if he could at least see you.

I have a number of parrots so they keep each other company when I'm not there but a singleton would be a different story. I would count on at least him being able to see where you are and what you are doing.
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

Quote Originally Posted by linda040899 View Post
    Hi and welcome to Lovebirds Plus Community!

All parrots are social and love the company of those they live with. Lovebirds are no exception. Toys may keep him entertained but it would be easier for him/her if he could at least see you...
    Ok, thank you Linda.. I'll bear in mind your suggestion.

I had a long response typed up and then Mooches hit the F5 button and it's gone. Shorter version now,working from home in a studio apt with him out of his cage 10-12 hours a day was easily manageable. He just mostly wanted to hang out near/on me, with the occasional keyboard assault, usually demanding head scritches but that would only be a few minutes of interruption.
    He is usually very quiet when he is out of the cage and can go where he wants, I leave him in and he demands to be out. If I go into the restroom without him with me when he is out he will squawk up a storm till I come back.

Obviously not all Lovebirds are the same, but this is my experience with one working from home.

Smile Re: Working home and a lovebird

Quote Originally Posted by Iosevus View Post
    I had a long response typed up and then Mooches hit the F5 button and it's gone. Shorter version now,working from home in a studio apt with him out of his cage 10-12 hours a day was easily manageable...
    Thanks for your (double ) answer, Iosevus. I'd really like to keep the little one out in the room, but I fear this would be incompatible with my kind of task. I'm not going to work with computer, but I'm going to make stop motion animation, which means preparing different moveable parts, puppets and objects on a working table area, with light stands and camera stands.. and I think my birdie would consider all that a beautiful, perfect playground (and I couldn't blame him).
    I could try, but I think it wouldn't work (and me too).
    So, alternatives are: putting the cage not far from me (as suggested by Linda), or the alternative I was thinking about is creating a kind of playing area, with toys and perches in my sleeping room, close the door and let him free fly there. After all I won't be busy all day long, at the moment I need no more than 4 hours a day.
    Any more thoughts and suggestions are very welcome.

Parrots are social and how a parrot would react to having freedom in one room with plenty of things to do would depend on the individual bird. I have a few that would be OK with that and I have others that would loudly protest!

I will also say that parrots are adaptable and yours might adapt to that kind of schedule as long as there is attention time.
    Linda L.

Parrots are social and how a parrot would react to having freedom in one room with plenty of things to do would depend on the individual bird. I have a few that would be OK with that and I have others that would loudly protest!
    I will also say that parrots are adaptable and yours might adapt to that kind of schedule as long as there is attention time.
    I will try, let's see how the little parrot will behave; otherwise I'll try the other solutions. Apart from working hours, I aim to spend a lot of time with him. Thank you again.

And chances are he will adjust to your schedule. My flock knows I work outside of my home certain hours of the day and they entertain each other while I'm gone. All you can do is see what happens.
    Linda L.

And chances are he will adjust to your schedule. My flock knows I work outside of my home certain hours of the day and they entertain each other while I'm gone. All you can do is see what happens.
    I'll find an agreement with the little one