Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Uhhh, that's not supposed to happen....

Default Uhhh, that's not supposed to happen....

One of the O's is not a boy!!!!

When I went to give the O's their breakfast this morning, opie came out of the cage with the food dish again and what did I see? An egg in the seeds!

7 and a half years old and now you lay an egg?
    Dave and Ditto (he still lets me list my name first)

Default Re: Uhhh, that's not supposed to happen....

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
    Happiness is spending time with your lovebird

No new eggs yet but Opie still has a big butt and huge poops. There's another one on the way. I hope she doesn't use the food dish again. She's been hanging out in the coconut so hopefully that's where the egg will be.

Well, I guess that tells you have a hen so 1 gender is known. Now Otis is the only one with gender unsure!!!
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

Quote Originally Posted by linda040899 View Post

Well, I guess that tells you have a hen so 1 gender is known. Now Otis is the only one with gender unsure!!!
    Well right now Otis looks to be about half the size of Opie so I'm sticking with him being him!

I bought them a coconut shell with a hole in it for a nest. They're both checking it out now so hopefully she'll not use the food dish again.

With what DJ is doing to his happy hut I don't have much doubt there.
    Last edited by Z28Taxman; 11-25-2017 at 03:52 PM.

Well Opie seems to be adopting her coconut. She spent the night on the perch with Otis but as soon as I came down and turned on the lights she went to the coconut, went inside and scratched around and then perched in front of it like a security guard. She didn't even hop on the food dish when I took it out to fill it and payed no attention to me when I put it back in.

Now for her to put her eggs in there.

I'm betting that's where her next,egg will be. The coconut is hers!
    Linda L.

Well she decided to keep me guessing. Egg number three wasn't here yet by the time I left for work. However, she didn't bother me while I took out the food dish to fill it (she was over by the coconut to make sure I didn't mess with it). She did spend the night on the perch with Otis like usual but went to the coconut when I was uncovering dj. She went in for a bit then sat in front of it.

She may not have laid the 3rd egg yet and I would keep a close eye on her. I do this routinely with all my hens in laying condition. I've not had many egg bound hens (particularly if they are on a good diet with adequate calcium) but the binding doesn't always happen with the first egg. It can be any egg. Since she's active, all I would do is watch.
    Linda L.

Quote Originally Posted by linda040899 View Post
    She may not have laid the 3rd egg yet and I would keep a close eye on her. I do this routinely with all my hens in laying condition. I've not had many egg bound hens (particularly if they are on a good diet with adequate calcium) but the binding doesn't always happen with the first egg. It can be any egg. Since she's active, all I would do is watch.
    It was also still early in the morning. It was 5:30am and still dark. There was also a small poop under where she was sleeping. I found the first egg at 7:30am and it was still very warm so it was fresh. The second egg had a little streak of fresh blood on it at 8am so 5:30 was a bit early.

I expect there will be an egg in there somewhere when I get home. Hopefully in the coconut. although she didn't look as huge yesterday and not at all fluffy unlike thursday and friday when she was huge and fluffed so those are all good signs that she's feeling more like her old self . She even took a bath yesterday and was wetter than I've ever seen. She looked like she was in a hurricane.