Thread: Max’s baby brother, perhaps?

Default Max’s baby brother, perhaps?

So, I have an opportunity to adopt a baby lovebird. The parents had four babies but the owners don’t want them. They gave them to their vet to find homes for them and she’s made the offer to me to take one or more for free.

Here’s a picture of one of them.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Bf1GgNoj...by=jenlovesmax

I plan on seeing them all in person before I decide. I know there’s a 50/50 chance of Max not getting along with the new kid on the block but I’m willing to take that chance even if it means more work for me giving each of them the attention and care they deserve.

I just had a few questions. The vet says the birds are four months old and healthy. She has been the parents vet and knows they are healthy. I asked her if she’s done any tests, specifically PBFD, and she says she hasn’t but doubts that they are carriers.

What should I have the bird tested for if I decide to get one?

Max is now almost five years old. Will the age difference between the two be another issue I need to be concerned about?

I prefer to get a male as the chances of two males getting along are greater. The sexes of the four birds is unknown. Should I just chance it and pick one?

What questions should I ask the vet about the birds?

Thanks
    Happiness is spending time with your lovebird

Default Re: Max’s baby brother, perhaps?

Is the picture recent? If so, the baby in the photo is no more than 2 months old. At 3 months, the dark splotch has faded and the beak is horn colored.

It would be better if you got a male so you don't have to deal with egg laying. Males are generally happy campers together. Age could be an issue, depending on how Max views the new flock member. Are the parent birds the only birds that the owners have? That would be the determining factor in whether to test for PBFD or not. What colors are the parents? The baby in the picture could be a sex linked mutation so the babies might be able to be sexed genetically.
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

Two months....interesting. I thought the bird looked a little young too. Yes, the picture was taken a couple of days ago.

From what the vet told me. She said the parents are the only lovebirds they have BUT they have budgies that are in the same house down the hall. The vet is keeping them in her house now where she has more birds. This worries me.

I’m going to find out more about the parents. Isn’t two months old too young to be taken away from the parents? They’re not hand tamed so I assume the parents raised them.

She’s going to send me more pics of all four this time. I’ll post them when I get them.

Parent raised baby lovebirds are usually weaned and eating on their own by 8 weeks. I would usually keep mine an extra week or so just to make sure they didn't revert to needing help eating. I could get closer on age if I could see front and face of the baby. The baby in the photo has been plucked by its parents because the feathering is growing back in on the back. The feathering on 6 week olds is beautiful and smooth.

You can tell the vet you want a test for PBFD and tell the vet you will pay for it. I believe in being safe.
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

I feel so sorry for all four. I just don’t understand why they would let the birds hatch if they didn’t want them or if they didn’t have a home for them already.

I’ll keep you posted as soon as I get more picks.