Thread: Getting him a friend?

Default Getting him a friend?

A while back I ended up acquiring a single (possibly male) peachface, and as time has gone by, I (unfortunately) don't have nearly as much time to spend with them. He has become more nippy recently, so my family members feel less inclined to interact with him. I really regret getting him as a single bird and I really want to get him a lovie buddy.

The issue is, I don't have another cage besides one that I can use as some kind of temporary quarantine environment. That means that if he ends up hating his new friend, I'm probably going to have to give it away (my family doesn't want the cost or mess of two cages.) So either I get him a new friend, and risk them not getting along, or keep him as a single bird.

It should also be mentioned that he's very attached to humans, flies onto us anytime he's not already on us, he clings to the side of the cage to be taken out, and crawls all over me, and in any room he pretty much never leaves a human body (came out a little weirder than I intended, but it still makes sense.) I've also seen him humping my hand a couple of times. I don't know if he'll become even more territorial and aggressive if we get him a bird buddy. Even though I researched and prepared, I honestly think that a single lovebird demands more time and attention from me than I can give.

I honestly don't know what to do. Should I just stuff his cage full of even more toys and hope for the best? Any advice?
    Last edited by Roseate; 12-18-2017 at 09:11 PM.

Default Re: Getting him a friend?

This is actually hard to predict as to what would happen should you get another lovebird companion for him. If you choose to do that, you would need a known male. Male + female = babies and I don't see that as something you might want. Males are usually happy campers together. I have several male/male pairs. He obviously loves his humans and he would continue to do so even if you were to get a companion. He may bond to another lovebird, which would satisfy his need for attention (lovebirds are VERY social), at least partly. I don't see him becoming more territorial with a buddy, unless it's protecting his cage, which is HIS home. Many parrots are like that.

The only way you could get around quarantine is if the lovebird you get comes from an only bird household and you know he is not sick. I've done this a few times and it's worked. The only thing I'm concerned about is PBFD. Lovebirds can be carriers and you never see any signs of the illness. The only way to determine PBFD free is with a test. I've taken a few like that, tested for PBFD and test is negative.

I honestly can't say one way or the other what you should do. Above are just my thoughts on the situation. If you offer more toys, no mirrors and remove bells with clappers.
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.