Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to lovebirds, will he ever like me?

Question New to lovebirds, will he ever like me?

Hi everyone!

I'm a first time lovebird owner but long time lover. I received my first ever birdie on my birthday about a week ago, his name is Blu. I call him a "he" even though he hasn't been gender determined yet, but his name fits for both! I has told he was hand fed and tamed, but he absolutely doesn't seem like it.

The first day I had him I took some bad advise from my dad, who says his mother had birds around the house all the time. He told me to just reach in his carrier cage and grab him. I had to chase him around his cage until I caught him and he was terrified. I learned that this wasn't going to work with him and didn't want to push him.

He has a huge day cage filled with toys and a little mirror with a perch and a sleeping/travel cage, which is small and fits inside the larger cage with ease. At first, when it was time for bed I'd use my hand to almost scare him into his cage. He is absolutely terrified of my hand and me in general. However, he doesn't mind my two kitties at all. Koco the male cat is scared of Blu and keeps his distance. Muffin the female is curious and will sit by the cage without putting her paws on it and will sniff her. Blu actually comes close to Muffin and will let himself be sniffed out, but not with me.

I like leaving the cage open for him while I'm in the room, no kitties yet, and he will glide around (he is clipped). He's not shy to explore, he simply doesn't like me yet.

I understand its crazy scary for him right now, so I decided to stop trying to touch him altogether. When its bed time I will put his little cage inside the large one and bring it towards him. He hops in and I close the door. During the day I do the same but let him out in the big cage. I also try to change his food and water one if he is in the opposite side of the cage.

He will not even try getting close to millet or fruit, so I cant exactly coax him towards my hand. The one thing that has worked is me cupping his food dish in my hand and have him eat from it.

I set his cage next to my bed or on a side table in the couch so he can be near me but feel safe. I talk to him a lot and make my own commentary on whatever I watching just to get him used to me.

Is there anything I can do to help him feel more comfortable with me and his space?

Thank you!

Default Re: New to lovebirds, will he ever like me?

Hi there,

Welcome and congrats on your new lovie!

I was new to lovebirds four years ago and this was the first place I came to for advice. This is the best forum filled with tons of info and the best people to help.

Some advice I can give you is don't grab him! That's the worst thing you can do. Don't force him to do anything he doesn't want to do. You need to build a trusting relationship with him. At first, I put the cage next to me and let Max come over to check me out. I would talk to him as I was surfing the web and slowly but surely, he was coming closer and closer to me. Now he's my little Velcro love.

Be patient, be kind and he'll come around. If you want to see how tame my Max has become, take a look at my Instagram account jenlovesmax.

Keep us posted. Oh, and keep the cats away!!!!
    Happiness is spending time with your lovebird

Do you have any tips on how I could transfer Blu from his day cage to his sleeping cage without touching him or scaring him? I tried what I had done previously with putting the small cage inside the large and bringing it closer to him, but now he refuses to go in.

Should I just leave him in the larger cage?

Why not just leave him in the larger cage? Forcing him to go into another cage will just cause him more stress. Just let him get comfortable in his new surroundings. Don't force him to do anything. Let him just chill and relax. As soon as he feels safe and secure, he'll venture out and start exploring.

A few weeks ago, I got Max a big cage. I set it up and have put it next to his other cage. He plays a little on the playtop of the new cage and I put him in the new cage during the day when I'm out or when it's not safe for him to be out of his cage (cooking,etc). He still chooses to sleep in his first cage so I let him. I don't want to force him into his new cage. I respect his choice and he's happy. So, now I have two cages in the kitchen. My point is, give Blu time to adjust to his new home. Focus on building a trusting bond with him at his pace, not yours. Be patient and before you know it he'll be glued to you. He'll be coming to you for love and cuddles because he wants to and because he loves you. It's the greatest feeling in the world. Trust me.

I completely agree with Maxie. If he is comfortable in the larger cage, he will pick his sleeping place and that will be what he wants. You are looking for his trust and unnecessary stress will make that take longer. I have an Amazon Parrot who loves his small cage. I would love to give him a bigger one but that's not happening! His home is old but it's his home so I respect his choice!
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

I took your advise and have started leaving him in his larger cage, I had read somewhere that you needed to have both for lovebirds and have one of them be specifically his sleeping cage. He seems much happier, so thank you!

Today it seems like we made some great progress. I was making noises and noticed that Blu responded to a specific noise I made. I had his cage open and as I was making this noise he started fly around and singing back to me. He flew and landed on my back! I got super excited but didn’t move because I didn’t want to startle him. He flew away back to the top of his cage and flew back to me. It made me so happy!

GUYS! I kept making the noise and Blu flew and perched on my head! He is on there as I am typing! I’m so excited!!

That's WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!! Keep doing what you are doing and Blu will come around. Calling to him is parrot form of communication. When a bird that they care about or are attached to is out of sight, they call and wait for a response. I always answer contact calls!

Good job!
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

Awesome!!! Looks like you're on the right track!! It's just going to get better from here 😊
    Enjoy!!!

Update: Blu is currently eating from my hand. My palm is cupping his food and hopped right on to eat. He backs off if I move a finger, but he trusts me enough to turn his back to me. I’m making kissy noises and telling him he’s a good boy.

What should I do next? Any more suggestions? I really appreciate it!