Thread: Post-egg-laying behavior

Default Post-egg-laying behavior

Hi, everyone.

My little Yoda laid her first egg early this morning, and I've found that the information here in the Lovebirds Plus Community has been very helpful. Thank you!

I do have a few follow-up questions, in case you want to weigh in:

• Yoda has her a little cloth tent, where she sleeps during the night and spends a few hours inside during the day. She laid her one egg there. Do I need a nesting box, or can I simply add shredded paper (and other items) to the tent?

• She's spending a lot of time (as usual) with her mirror, aka her 'mate.' So she's not spending time with her egg. Should I remove the mirror (I may do that anyway), or is now a bad time to do so, since it may cause agitation or depression? Now may not be a good time to do so.

• Are there any other signs of being 'eggbound' other than 'torpedo butt'?

Thank you!!
    Yoda's big buddy
    Yoda the zen master has a lot to teach me.

Default Re: Post-egg-laying behavior

Since Yoda has already started her laying cycle, she needs to complete it, regardless if the is one egg or 8. A typical clutch can be anywhere from 4-8 eggs. She may ignore the first couple of eggs but by the time she lays the third one, if she lays that many, she will be very serious about her precious eggs, even if they won't hatch. She would quite literally protect them with her life if it became necessary.

You might want to give her something a bit more sturdy, although you don't want to go overboard. If the eggs are not in danger of rolling out of her tent, I would leave things alone. It takes approximately 23 days from the day the first egg is laid until a baby begins to hatch should egg #1 be fertile. (Yoda's are not. This is just for reference.) Let her have her eggs for at least 26-27 days after the last egg has been laid before you do anything about her nest. She may abandon them sooner and then you just remove all the eggs.

The reason we don't recommend mirrors for lovebirds is because they can bond with a reflection which is not real. If you can phase out the mirror, it would be in her best interest. As for egg binding, the surest sign is lack of droppings. A hen's droppings will become very large because they don't eliminate that much when they are incubating. However, you should see droppings at least once or twice/day. With egg binding, the egg acts like a plug and blocks elimination. What kills is build up of toxic waste. If you suspect egg binding, call you avian vet immediately, as this can kill a hen in as little as 6 hrs.
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

Linda,
    I learn a LOT every time you provide feedback. Much appreciated!

This morning, Yoda's first dropping was much larger than normal. I'll keep an eye on that.

There's little chance of the eggs falling out of her tent, so I won't get a separate place to nest. I may remove her tent from the top and place it on the bottom of the cage, since there it won't swing. I added some shredded paper to her interior decor.

Thus far, she has not paid any attention to the egg (and a lot to the mirror). I'll begin to wean her off the mirror, maybe a few hours a day. I'd go 'cold turkey,' but maybe now is not the time.

Thanks again for all your help!
    Karma being what it is, the Big Hen in the Sky is smiling down upon you -- and has been for quite a while.

Since Yoda's brood patch (on her chest area) has not reached incubating temperature, she will ignore her eggs until it does. That could take anywhere from 2 - 4 eggs. It won't be long before she's sitting on her eggs and will not pay attention to the mirror. She may or may not like it if you move her tent. If you move it, watch for her reaction.
    Linda L.

I removed Yoda's mirror and, to my surprise, she hasn't exhibited any anxious or depressed behavior. She's not as excited when I walk into the room now (I'm her primary human). She's more mellow, but she no longer refuses to come out of the cage. I didn't expect to go cold turkey on the mirror, but it'll stay out, barring any odd behavior.

Thank you for the info about Yoda's brood patch. No second egg yet, but we'll see.

Much appreciated!

Good deal on removing the mirror! Now she will look to you for attention instead of a reflection. Lovie hens usually lay their eggs every other day and usually around the same time of the day. You can see the egg as it descends and gets closer to being laid. You can feel the hard shell, as long as you touch very gently. Just keep an eye on her.
    Linda L.