Thread: new lovebird owner- should i let them out of their cages?

Default new lovebird owner- should i let them out of their cages?

hi! i recently got two lovebirds- jupiter and juno. i'm not entirely sure which is the male/female, and they're approximately 4 months old from a breeder. i got them around 10 days ago.

they stay in one cage, they feed each other and play around, groom each other. however, they never leave the cage, and i've never attempted to get them out.

this is my first time getting birds, and i want them to trust me. they don't fly around when i clean their cage from the inside, but they do sometimes climb as far away from me as possible or move onto the very corner of the cage. i'm not sure how to start taming them since there's two of them, and i'm not sure how to move them into a travel cage without scaring them (causing them to trust me even less).

i sing to them often, and i sit down with them while they're in the cage and they seem less scared.

now i'm wondering if i should just bring them to a restroom and just let them fly free after bird-proofing it? i don't know if i'll be able to get them back into their cages after but i read that they'll trust me if they know their environment. i'm really, really lost, but i want them to trust me and to not always be in their cage all the time.

thank you!

Default Re: new lovebird owner- should i let them out of their cages?

Hi and welcome to Lovebirds Plus Community! Congratulations on your 2 new lovies!

Two can be harder to work with but they will also have each other for companionship when you are not available. I, personally, keep my lovies in pairs (if that's what they want) and both will be friendly as long as I pay attention to them.

For now, the safest place for them is in their cage and that's where they feel safest based on what you are saying. Talk to them, sing to them, eat meals near their cage. Chances are they will also eat when they see you eating. Lovebirds are very social! You will begin to find that they will not move away when you do something in their cage. Wear a chain or something to attract their attention and it will spark their curiosity.

Sounds like these 2 get along fairly well and you may or may not have a true pair. Males tend to be happy campers together and get along very well (usually) when kept together. I've seen female pairs that get along but that's not always the case. Should these 2 begin to squabble as they mature, it might be necessary to separate them. Lovebirds are very capable of killing a cage mate!

Hope this is helpful.
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

Quote Originally Posted by linda040899 View Post
    Hi and welcome to Lovebirds Plus Community! Congratulations on your 2 new lovies!

Two can be harder to work with but they will also have each other for companionship when you are not available. I, personally, keep my lovies in pairs (if that's what they want) and both will be friendly as long as I pay attention to them.

For now, the safest place for them is in their cage and that's where they feel safest based on what you are saying. Talk to them, sing to them, eat meals near their cage. Chances are they will also eat when they see you eating. Lovebirds are very social! You will begin to find that they will not move away when you do something in their cage. Wear a chain or something to attract their attention and it will spark their curiosity.

Sounds like these 2 get along fairly well and you may or may not have a true pair. Males tend to be happy campers together and get along very well (usually) when kept together. I've seen female pairs that get along but that's not always the case. Should these 2 begin to squabble as they mature, it might be necessary to separate them. Lovebirds are very capable of killing a cage mate!

Hope this is helpful.
    thank you so much for your response!

considering this is their safest place, should i keep them there for now til they're more comfortable before taking them out?

also, i'm going start eating right in front of them right now!

considering this is their safest place, should i keep them there for now til they're more comfortable before taking them out?
    I think I would wait before letting them come out of their cage. Problem with letting them out would be getting them back in. Additionally, let them get used to the layout of your home by seeing it from a place they could not get in trouble or hurt before you let them explore. Parrots can get into dangerous situations without even trying sometimes! All of mine are long term residents and know my home well and still end up where they shouldn't be at times. It's safer to prevent a problem.
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

Quote Originally Posted by linda040899 View Post
    I think I would wait before letting them come out of their cage. Problem with letting them out would be getting them back in. Additionally, let them get used to the layout of your home by seeing it from a place they could not get in trouble or hurt before you let them explore. Parrots can get into dangerous situations without even trying sometimes! All of mine are long term residents and know my home well and still end up where they shouldn't be at times. It's safer to prevent a problem.
    thank you so much!!! i will definitely let them get comfortable around us first before letting them out.