Thread: Four love birds. New owner

Lightbulb Four love birds. New owner

We are new to having lovebirds but have had a cockatiel and parakeets in the past. So... we bought two from a pet store, then two more from a home-breeder. Store purchased lovebirds are 1 peach face(Cher)..(not mature..has some black on it's beak, and a hybrid/ yellow,orange head/ albino?(Sonny) Wings clipped. The breeder birds are peach face adults, unclipped wings.(Apple and Phoenix.
    The store bought came first. Then breeder purchached a week later. So the store birds were adjusting pretty well. The yellow is more tame, older(than Cher) and very inquisitive.
    But..as soon as we bought the breeder birds, the problems started developing.
    There is a lot of fighting and my peach face youngster is getting bullied the most.
    My question is: should we separate the pairs? My husband is planning on building our own in-house aviary so they have plenty of space between the pairs. 3Lx4w×4h aprox. Deminitions

They have plenty of toys, of which I rotate often. Two food and two water dishes, millet and lots of perches and a ladder.
    They all get plenty of out of cage time. We try to give them 10-12 hours of sleep... but they've started staying up late and getting up early despite quiet and darkness with the cage covered. Only the yellow is tame at the moment.
    Breeder told us she hadn't handled her birds(the unclipped peach-face pair) since November dt a health issue. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Hope i made sense .

Default Re: Four love birds. New owner

Hi and welcome to Lovebirds Plus Community!

The problem is that you are putting youngsters in with a breeding pair. That can only lead to trouble so what you need to do is separate the younger ones before someone gets seriously hurt. You may be able to put all four in a large enough aviary but don't count on all 4 being accepting of the situation. Additionally, what you would be setting up is a flight aviary and unless you usually can't add more lovebirds to a flight unless you are adding the same number of birds that are already there. Lovebirds can be aggressive and territorial, especially hens.!
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.