Thread: My mother has to re-home Yoda

Default My mother has to re-home Yoda

Hi, all.
    It absolutely kills me to say this, but my 90-year-old mother will be moving to an active-senior community (which she likes a great deal), and unfortunately she has to give away Yoda, the biting bundle of love we both adore. I cannot take her because I'm moving to a very small room out of state.

I realize that the best option is to KEEP Yoda ourselves, if at all possible, especially since she's bonded to my mom. But I'm reaching out to learn what I should look for in a potential new home (single house or apartment) or a community (avian sanctuaries or bird store).

Might anyone know of some potentially good places in the Los Angeles area, or sources where good bird lovers are looking to re-home Yoda? What questions should I ask, and what should I look for in a new home? (This will be especially important should we resort to using Craigslist.)

Will returning Yoda to the parrot store be a torturous experience for her? Can she ever rebond with anyone else?
    I feel as if we'll be ripping her little heart out, and I feel REALLY guilty.

Any information would be most helpful.
    Thanks!

- Yoda's human brother
    Yoda the zen master has a lot to teach me.

Default Re: My mother has to re-home Yoda

Give me a little bit of time to think this through. Considering lovebirds can be noisy, a single home would be my first thought so there are no issues with noise complaints. A home with another lovebird or possible feathered companion would be nice, again if possible.

Don't know that I would consider a pet shop and Craig's List can be a nightmare, especially since it's hard to find honest people who will actually do what they say they will!

Ideas from anyone else would be welcome!
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

Thank you, Linda!

I'm going to contact my avian vet in the area who has seen Yoda. Maybe he has some ideas as well.
    Much appreciated!!

Checking with your vet's office is an excellent idea! I know you want a good home for Yoda and she deserves the best you can find. Just be patient and your gut feelings will tell you how to proceed.
    Linda L.

Thank you.
    I'll call the vet TODAY, and I have three weeks to find a good home. No rush.

Much appreciated!
    Larry

Check your private messages, please.
    Linda L.