Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Avian vet told me a strange taming technique (+ unrelated question)

Default Re: Avian vet told me a strange taming technique (+ unrelated question)

Quote Originally Posted by linda040899 View Post
    Some lovebirds prefer the Nutriberries broken up (mine do), while others enjoy the whole "berry." I've tried all the different flavors and the favorite comes out as El Paso, but I change varieties to give them different tastes. I have an older Double Yellow Headed Amazon who used to love seed but seed put on weight, which is not good for an Amazon. So, I give him a little bit of seed, a bowl full of Nutriberries and different nuts each day. He just went in for his annual exam and he's lost a healthy 50 grams in a year! My vet is very happy!
    Thanks once more for the tip, I've ordered a small bag of the el Paso variety. Do you have any tips on enticing them to try out something new? Should I still mix in seed or should I take away the seed to prevent him from only picking those out? I read that parrots sometimes rather go hungry than try something new, even if you only offer the new food item so I'm wondering what would be best. He's also very hesitant to eat vegetables, it will be a challenge to get him to eat a balanced diet I can see already but luckily he's still young so hopefully not yet completely set in his ways

Cheers

Tom

The best thing to do is just add the Nutriberries in with his regular food. You are correct in saying that parrots will starve themselves to death rather than eat something that they don't perceive as food. This happened too many times when pellets were first introduced and bird owners tried to introduce pellets "cold turkey." I would break them up and just add them to the food dish. Eventually, your lovebird will eat a bit of what you want to add and perhaps decide that this isn't so evil after all. As for veggies, I usually try fresh carrots first. I found that mine love long shredded pieces because they can twirl them in their beaks and the juice tastes good. I would only add a couple of pieces and take them out if not eaten with 6 hours so they don't spoil. Again, be persistent and see what happens.
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

The best thing to do is just add the Nutriberries in with his regular food. You are correct in saying that parrots will starve themselves to death rather than eat something that they don't perceive as food. This happened too many times when pellets were first introduced and bird owners tried to introduce pellets "cold turkey." I would break them up and just add them to the food dish. Eventually, your lovebird will eat a bit of what you want to add and perhaps decide that this isn't so evil after all. As for veggies, I usually try fresh carrots first. I found that mine love long shredded pieces because they can twirl them in their beaks and the juice tastes good. I would only add a couple of pieces and take them out if not eaten with 6 hours so they don't spoil. Again, be persistent and see what happens.
    Understood, then that's the way I'll do it. I'll also make sure to get some carrots and try giving him a long shredded piece, that's actually a great idea, all my previous budgies liked to nibble on long shreds of paper so it appears that that shape indeed appeals to them. I even had one that used to put those pieces of paper in his tail between his tail feathers and walked around with them I've learned so much in joining this forum, that's awesome. I'll probably have more questions in the future, I tend to ask a lot of them on topics I'm not familiar with (like lovebirds)

Cheers

Tom

Glad we can be of help! All the experience here is aimed towards what birds actually like, not what we perceive they should like. Sometimes if one thing doesn't please them, you try a variation and see how they react. I've learned to respect their wishes and show them respect. While we may think we want them to step up and socialize with us, they may be playing or resting. In that case, I simply try again later rather than trying to dominantly force the issue. That's what makes us part of their flock!
    Linda L.

Glad we can be of help! All the experience here is aimed towards what birds actually like, not what we perceive they should like. Sometimes if one thing doesn't please them, you try a variation and see how they react. I've learned to respect their wishes and show them respect. While we may think we want them to step up and socialize with us, they may be playing or resting. In that case, I simply try again later rather than trying to dominantly force the issue. That's what makes us part of their flock!
    Yup, that's exactly how I've always treated my birds. I never forced them into anything unless there was no other choice (vet appointment and they wouldn't go into their cage for instance). I think birds, certainly in the parrot family, understand this and trust you more because of it. My previous birds were all a bit too trusting even if there is such a thing. I could for instance walk over them when they were on the floor and lift my foot up until it was right above them (don't worry, as a test) and they just stayed put in stead of flying or running away. They just trusted me to not tread on them, no self-preservation reflex whatsoever. I had to really watch out where I walked and sat down because of that, but that's of course only a small price to pay for being trusted so much

Cheers

Tom

They just trusted me to not tread on them, no self-preservation reflex whatsoever. I had to really watch out where I walked and sat down because of that, but that's of course only a small price to pay for being trusted so much
    That's the kind of relationship that is so important! Too many people think trust is built in a few hours. Nope, nope, nope! Kindness, time, patience, respect and lots of loving attention will get you what you want. Keep up the good work!
    Last edited by linda040899; 09-26-2020 at 09:29 AM.
    Linda L.

Update: I can now feed him millet inside his cage without him freaking out. I also don't have to leave any stem on them for distance, he eats them from right between my fingers. He even nibbles my finger a few times while I'm feeding him, but never hard, more like to say "thank you", a bit like the preening kisses birds give each other or sometimes humans as well. I can also do things inside his cage like add or remove perches and he just sits and watches me, though still from a distance. He used to go absolutely bonkers when my hand went into the cage. Tomorrow I'm going to try to get him to step up by placing the millet on my hand so he has to step up to reach it

I think he is also eating both the varieties of the nutri-berries I got for him, though it's hard to tell because I still mix in some seed and they throw a lot of food on the floor as it is. I did however see him eat some pieces of nutri-berrie a few times so I think he has taken to them. Great tip, thank you

Will update again when I have him tamed (when he has accepted me into his flock completely I mean)

Fantastic update!!! Time, patience, love and kindness will be returned 100 fold! I'm glad he likes the Nutriberries but please don't take away all of his other seed. He really needs the oil in the sunflower seed!
    Linda L.

Fantastic update!!! Time, patience, love and kindness will be returned 100 fold! I'm glad he likes the Nutriberries but please don't take away all of his other seed. He really needs the oil in the sunflower seed!
    Understood, I will make sure to keep mixing in some seed to balance his diet. I had already bought some sunflower seeds but was planning to use these as a treat, but I'm going to follow your advice and mix in a bit of them as well next to the nutri-berries and the normal seed mix, since the normal seed mix does not contain sunflower seeds, though it is a high quality seed mix or should be at least (it also contains some egg food)

Good game plan!!! Before you know it, you are going to have a velcro birdie who thinks he needs to be attached to your person 24/7/365!!!
    Linda L.