Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lovebirds as Gifts; Maybe Not!

Default Lovebirds as Gifts; Maybe Not!

Hi All
    I just wanted to put a Reminder on here with the run up to Xmas.
    We have adverts on telly here, saying "Remember Dogs are Not just for Christmas" "they are for Life".
    This also applies to any animal that is now suddenly flooding the market.
    I have been trawling through my local paper on the internet (Adverts are placed for Free), There are Bookings now being taken for dog, cats birds etc.
    So this is My way of saying through the World Wide Web. Kids want animals albeit dogs to fish, But Please Please do your Research thoroughly. When it comes to Love birds to (many in this paper for sale) They are Not easy Pets to keep. And in Time the Novelty soon wears off when People realise what time, effort and yes heartache that goes into looking after them.
    So If any guests that are looking on this site, Please read through this Forum and do your research before Buying. Maybe at least 1 bird will have a happy and healthy loving home.
    I dont mean to be blunt, but as most in here know along with others i cannot bear to see animals suffer, and i dont want to go along and rescue yet another Bird.
    The main Petstores are the Biggest Culprits for this to.
    as Linda said "while there is a supply, there always be a demand".

Regards
    Cassy..

Phoebe Guest

Default Re: Lovebirds as Gifts; Maybe Not!

And I might add, with Easter coming up, no bunnies or chicks either! A major newspaper just put in a pic with some cute kid with a bunny and I thought, oh boy! But it is good to remind people all the time that pets should be never given as gifts.

when I was looking into a puppy (which we never got because it turns oout he's allergic) I told my boyfriend I wanted to check the pound in late january, because that's when all the pets that people bought for their children make it back to the pound when the kid won't take care of them and the parents won't either.

My lovie was a gift...from me to me.

But I agree, no pets as gifts.

yeah, my lovie is a birthday present to me.

And kind of from my boyfriend too. He went out and looked for a local breeder for me after I found out I couldn't get the bird I was supposed to get (from virginia) ^^ He's so sweet.

Indy was a birthday gift for me too, although I'd already researched in lovies so... I'm not sure if that counts or not. But I do agree with not getting someone a lovie when they know next to nothing about the species.

although i got my first 2 lovies from my sister as christmas gift but i do agree with you guys. i knew nothing about birds before i got them but i've done a lot of research afterwards, it's a life long commitment.
    mimi
    mama of bubble, jello, slyvester, tweety, pudding, jellybean, jaws, baby, fluffy, honey, bunny,baby nemo, red beanie, green beanie and my dearly missed green tea

I agree with the no pets as gifts for kids or as surprises for anyone, My lovebird was a birthday gift from my parents, but only AFTER I had done the research and specifically asked for one, went to the petstore and picked it out myself
    Jenna and Tango

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
    - Theodore Roosevelt

I am also in agreement! I got two for Christmas last year--but I had done all the research, dialoging (sp) with the breeder and I knew exactly what I was getting. Then I got two more for my birthday--again, I did all the work. The second set was from a breeder I have had previous dealings with, so knew I was getting quality birds.
    Dottie

Xanthus Guest

I got a pair of Lovies for my stepson's birthday - one for me and one for him.

But we had made him get books on Lovies and learn about them and make sure he wanted one before we got them - and worse comes to worse, I'll just relabel his as mine. :P

I've wanted Lovies for years! I think I might be more excited about them then he is.