Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lovebirds as Gifts; Maybe Not!

Default Re: Lovebirds as Gifts; Maybe Not!

pets as animals is really not such a good idea. especiually if they dont know they are getting one .. lol .. and i dont think its nice when someone does not do their research .. then just keeps the bird (or animal) and just lets it get wild, no interaction and whatnot

I always say-do not buy a pet for a child or if only child wants it!!! A parent needs to want it too!!! And I personally wouldn't give(sell,give as a gift etc) any pet to a family with small kids...UNLESS THEY ARE USED TO IT SINCE BIRTH,like I was...My parents had a dog before me and when I was born he was already there and to my he was like a family...Same with my cats and bird...Now this lovie came unexpected(found) and we decided to keep him.So getting another one was my choice...
    Cookie&Blue

I got my first lovebird as an anniversary present from my boyfriend
    And the 2nd was a gift from me to me
    But i totally agree
    There are wayyy too many pets that end up not being taken care of, or abused, even if its just from the owners lack of knowledge.
    Forever homes are what they need. People should check rescues and shelters before going to pet stores and breeders, if they're going to get animals.
    :[

I believe a bird, or any other pet for that matter, should be selected by the prospective owner-to-be. And I also feel that it is very important to research the breed of bird or animal that you are interested in. Take time to make the right decision. Like humans, each bird is unique in its personality, and all breeds have their very own characteristics. Just like "snowflakes", each is a miracle of nature. Treat your pet as you would want to be treated in life. That is my motto!

I think it's on a case by case basis. I see a lot of judgement in this thread with no regards to who may be what.

Let me elaborate.

I am a 27 year old woman with two children. We have a dog, a cat, a lovebird, a beta fish, and a guinea pig. All of them (minus the beta fish of course) get plenty of love and attention. ****, the guinea pig almost has her own room.

The lovebird is mine. All mine, and I am rather protective as both my children can tell you. The dog was supposed to be my husband's, but because he works the dog likes me more. LOL. The cat is definitely my husband's cat, and barely tolerates me when Joe is home. The guinea pig, however, is all my daughter's. I got it for her last year, October 14th. Her father had left for a year's tour overseas, and she'd been wanting a guinea pig for ages. When we went in, I had a long talk with her about responsibilities. We laid down rules that she had to agree to. She got to pick her guinea pig, had to help me put everything together, etc.

Then she had to sign a contract at home regarding her duties. Every day she comes home, does her chores, does her homework, and then spends time with her guinea pig. A minimum of an hour as soon as she's done with her homework. The guinea pig is one of the nicest, sweetest pigs I've ever seen. Have I had to remind her? Of course. She's 8. Her friends distract her when they come over. But once she's reminded, she eagerly goes to play with her pet.

What I'm getting at is a parent has to make a judgement call. Sometimes it's a bad call. Most of the time it is not. For every bad story you see or hear, there are dozens of families that successfully got a pet for their child, and that pet is happy and well cared for.

Pixel was a Christmas/"We're sorry we didn't check the cage lock" gift . It can be especially a bad idea (in my opinion) if the receiver is still dealing with a loss. Granted I still absolutely adore Pixel.