Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lovebirds as Gifts; Maybe Not!

Default Re: Lovebirds as Gifts; Maybe Not!

I couldn't help it, I just had to comment on this important subject as its still very common for poeple to make this mistake and have their pets suffer the fallout. Surprize living gifts have taken a back seat to " Its so cute I just have to have one" and "please mommy can we get one?". A lot of poeple because of illimitable information about the danger to animals when put in a box with a bow on top have stopped doing so only to overlook the other undesirable reasons for getting a pet. I personally have had to go over the finer points of caring for a lovebird because some poeple who meet Goofylovebird just have to go and get one. I generally give them less pro's than con's, call it discouragement, because its closer to the truth for someone that may lack the dedication we share in this community. Other reasons like parents getting pets in hopes that their children care for them or, I don't have time for my kids, maybe a pet would fill in for me are just other poor excuses for getting a pet. I know that there's poeple that make getting a pet a conscientious effort but there are so many that still don't. If you can't take care of an animal in the event your children don't then don't get one. Here in N.E. Ohio throughout the summer lovebird breeders abound at local flea markets and most of the vendors will tell you how wonderful they are and easy to care for too. They cost anywhere from $25 to $65 and if their tired of caring for so many they'll throw in a cage. Most of the time their definition of caring for a bird couldn't be farther from the truth. Just another sale. The larger amazons and grey's usually end up in shelters because the owner wouldn't come down on the price for someone who may otherwise be able to care for them. Greed. I hope poeple keep spreading the word that their not just pets, and that they hold a very special place in our hearts. That all pets deserve the best care possible. Us humans seem to be the only species capable of killing everything, too bad some of us don't use that to keep things alive......Thanks for giving us the space here....Michael N' His favorite bird.

I absoulutely can not stand when people give pets as gifts. Thats how the sad story of Jezzahbella began, my friends parents got her Bella, as a present for getting good grades a year before I met her. They kept her on the ground, next to the furnace in a poorly lite area. Its a wonder Bella had not plucked all of her feathers! Its makes me sooo angry!

i agree. i got my lovebird as a gift from my boyfriend though. but i had been dying to have one, and had been researching. the only reason i'd delayed it so long is because i'm a modest living student and the initial cost of the bird, cage, toys, vitamins, bath, food, yadda yadda yadda was rough. but once all of that was out of the way, we're good to go!

i couldn't imagine giving someone a pet as a gift, unless i knew they wanted it as a definite. the potential for neglect is too risky...it's sad, really. i couldn't dream of not taking care of an animal i had. i've had pets to care for since i could remember though...
    Emily & Francis

agreed 110%!

i got chicken as a present to myself, after much research

about 14 years ago we took in two cockatiels who were abused. they were in a small parakeet cage that we literally had to break apart to get them. they were a 'novelty' to the previous owners, who decided to treat them poorly because they were no longer 'important'.

people should really research and contemplate before they take on any kind of animal. its terrible to see them cast aside out of loss of interest.

Robin 'n Chicken

isn't it funny how many of us got our lovies as gifts?? me too...girlfriends who had parrots themselves and i mentioned seeing this cute bird in a pet store..surprise! she's now mine but they knew i wanted a bird. and altho, i'm certianally not sorry i have her now, i don't know if a lovebird would've been "my" first choice if i hadn't recevied her.
    Susan
    bailey (caique) DOB 06/27/07
    chuckie (mix terrier) DOB 03/15/98

I dont know anyone who gives a birds as gifts, especially since they are expensive and live so long. I can see when a person has researched and picked out the particular bird getting it for them, but I couldnt imagine giving someone a 15+ year commitment.

Rabbits are another story though, after every easter there is a flood of rabbits in shelters. http://www.makeminechocolate.org/

Maybe if someone created an interactive informational site like "make mine chocolate" Someone could create a really cute one

I'm half/half about this. I'm getting a Lovie for my birthday coming up (November 11, veterans day). I've done plenty of research and I am 100% sure that I am ready to put the responsibility of caring for this animal in my hands. I love animals to death and I can't live without them! But, the other half of me wants to agree with you on this. Animals as pets to little children or people who have not done research on them, is a bad idea. Nobody wants to see an animal suffer or be neglected. It's terrible. But, I know that I will be a responsible and loving owner. Afterall, I am homeschooled and spend plenty of time with my animals.

a lot of it is down to Th parents, i learnt Th hard way with my cockatiel, thought i had done enough research, then found out thy go through molting and hormonal stages and it is like retaming thm over and over, or allowing them to bite and spending more time on them so thy don't bite, well mine bit me a few time and i lost my bottle with him, if i had known this i would have got one, he is very happy tho and i kept him because i bought him there for i look after him, i can still put my hand in the cage and he will step up but is a nightmare out side the cage, so he is fun inside, not how i like it but at lats he isnt ignored, as a bird lover i hate that it came down to this,

but it does show what can happen, i recently bought a Minni rex rabbit for my daughter they need lots of handling as they are prone to biting so he gets plenty of daily handling so compared to our cashmere lop he takes much more work,

wow sorry to waffle on, but i am all for research you can never know too much about an animal, i wanted a cat with after doing a tiny bit of research have decided against as they need regular vet checks etc

I breed and sell birds, one of the things that I say to anyone that wants one is who is it for? If not for themselves then i say they have to bring the owner in to see me and pick the bird out themselves (I am a big beliver that the bird picks the owner not the owner picking the bird, might explain why i have so many disabled or behavioual issue birds as they all know i will take them home!) they also get a care lesson. I have put to much effort into my birds to see them just go and get dumped. I also offer !00% moneyback within 15 days and return no refund after that.

You know, I definitly agree with what you're all saying. I think it's too easy just to give out an animal as a present, people just assume that because they asked for one they'll take care of them... but I think it's not so sure... after all it could be apassing interest... and people often want what they don't have.

Personally I think buying a pet for yourself is better, because when you buy it, it's a more serious commoitment then if someone just gives it to you, no matter iof it's a bird or a cat or a dog.