Thread: Weird little mama

Default Weird little mama

Hi folks! Noticed a little quirk in Sky's behavior so I'd thought I'd ask the community.

She laid two eggs (and I included two fake ones) about two weeks ago and, unlike the other batch, has been devoted to this one. She sits on them in a corner in the cage floor, under her water (no drips). (Yes, calcium has been provided faithfully). But yesterday I noticed something funny: she's normally in a semi bright corner where she doesn't receive direct sunlight, but yesterday I had to work at home so I took her with me to my room where I have my workdesk. There, I have an open window, and as soon as I settled the cage down she almost immediately went up to her swing and stayed there --until I put her back in her corner, and she as quickly as possible went back to her eggs. Just for test, I placed her in front of the balcony and bang, back to the swing. Why is that? Is she lacking sunlight?

My second question is, when should I remove the eggs? I haven't been home much and I haven't been able to devote much time to her, so it doubly breaks my heart to see her so committed to a lost cause. I want my girl to be happy.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Weird little mama

Lovebirds, and all parrots, are sensitive to change. By moving her cage, the change made her feel unsafe so she left her eggs. Once you put her back to what she's used to, she moved back to her eggs. Lovebird hens are very devoted to their eggs and babies. She most likely knows the eggs will not hatch but she will stay with them until the time that they would be due to hatch. Count 23 days forward from the day it was laid and mark that date on your calendar. She will probably remain with her eggs until at least then. Give her another 3-4 days after that and then I would remove the eggs, unless she abandons them sooner.

When incubating eggs, lovebirds are usually in nest boxes, which are dark inside so she's not lacking sunlight.
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.