Thread: Biting

Default Biting

Mango has settled in incredibly and is unrecognizable from the skinny, shy bird that entered our home a matter of weeks ago. She/he doesn't seem to hate water which is a huge relief to me and has also warmed up to us, however, she/he does have the tendency to bite.. a lot. Is this normal bird behaviour and if so what could I do to discourage it? Birdy rarely ever bit unless it was bath time. so it isn't something I have experience with handling.
    Last edited by MyBirdy; 05-18-2021 at 04:22 AM.

Default Re: Biting

Each bird is different and some are more feisty than others! If Mango is a female, female lovebirds tend to be more aggressive than their male counterparts, especially when they are in their cages. They are territorial and will defend their homes with every ounce of energy they have in their feathered bodies! I have a few just like this!! What I've found is that avoidance usually works best. If they like to bite fingers, I offer my hand (fingers closed in a fist) or my arm when I ask them to step up. Perches/dowels work well, too. Those that bite when they are on my shoulder do not have shoulder privileges. I've taught a few of mine not to bite by using beak rubs (which feel very pleasant to most parrots) and telling them "no bite." The most difficult biter I have is my tiny parrotlet, Lia! Her aggressiveness puts ALL of my other birds to shame! She's less than a year old, weighs maybe 28 grams and goes into attack mode as soon as any body part gets near her cage! What I've found is treats, such as her favorite (millet), will catch her attention and I tell her "no bite." She calms down when I rub her upper beak but that only lasts until the next time!!! She's quite the character and I've found that just interacting with her works better than risking finger wounds (or wounds to the rest of my hand).

I'm very glad to hear that Mango has gained some weight and that she like water. Most lovebirds do, and the water dish serves two purposes. First is bathing, and that's usually done first. Second is drinking, as that's secondary to the bath!!
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

Thumbs up Re: Biting

Ok thanks Linda! Mango has no problem with coming onto our fingers etc. but once she/he does so she/he does have the tendency to bite, I will try your tips to discourage this . I am still unsure on her/his gender, she/he doesn't enjoy shredding paper which leads me to believe she/he is a male.

I'm wondering if Mango is biting or just trying to groom your fingers (or other areas) and perhaps applying too much pressure? A video might be helpful.....
    Linda L.

Ok I will definitely check that out, let me know if you find something that could be helpful. Also, unrelated question but should allow mango to play with a mirror, we are considering getting mango a friend in a couple of weeks time but I have noticed that mango enjoys looking in mirrors and playing with her reflection. Could this be psychologically damaging in any way?

unrelated question but should allow mango to play with a mirror
    No. I would not, even though Mango likes seeing and playing with her own reflection. Lovebirds form strong bonds with those they like and Mango sees the reflection as real. You don't want her to bond with an image, as she may reject any friend you offer because of the preference for the reflection.

If you look around for a friend for her, make sure that she is a she. Females can be very aggressive and don't get along (normally) with other females as companions. That leaves your choice as a male and you want one that's close to her age or at least over a year old. If Mango is a male, then you have the option of either gender since pairs of males are usually happy campers together.
    Linda L.

Ok thanks for the feedback ill make sure to keep her/him away from mirrors so she/he doesn't end up getting attached. Mango is really young as of now so we cannot recognise which gender he/she is so if we do get a companion we will get a female to stay on the safe side.