Thread: Weirdly on edge?

Default Weirdly on edge?

My son noticed it first, but Nanahope (the green) has started acting like he's frightened of us... but not all the time. Our Nanas don't like fingers for scritching or pets, but have always been willing to hop on for a sit and be chirped at. They allow belly kisses and beak kisses. In the last couple of days, Nanahope who is normally happy to have a cage door opened now peeps like he's scared and hops to the back of the cage. Step up is normally not a big deal, but now he protests before he hops on. He leans away from kisses like we're strangers or he doesn't know/trust us anymore. Nanamua (the yellow that plucks) is the same, no change. In fact, when she comes to sit on my thumb, Nanahope will come and sit and they'll poof and preen inches from my face like nothing has changed but then Nanahope will look at me like he expects me to do something scary.

They're both about 7 years old. I know I'll have make a vet visit if he doesn't calm down, but in the meantime... any guesses as to what it could be? Nothing is different in the room, cages are the same.. and he's not just weird around me, my husband and my son have reported similar behavior.

Wet. Stinky. Birdie.

Default Re: Weirdly on edge?

bird tax

Wet. Stinky. Birdie.

Default Re: Weirdly on edge?

When I get an odd behavior such as this from any of my flock, I start looking around for anything, no matter how small, that has changed. Birds have an amazing sense of impending change, as well. I've noticed that if we are expecting a nasty storm of some kind here (FL is known for thunder, lightning, tornadoes, etc), my flock will become very quiet and those who are out of their cages all the time tend to stick close to their cages. Alex, my BFA, suddenly becomes more clingy than she normally is (if that's possible)! Many times, if we have particularly rough weather, everyone is in their cages.

Thanks for the photo of the Nanas! Those 2 are so incredibly cute!!!
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.