Thread: Frey & Odie adapting to growing older

Default Frey & Odie adapting to growing older

Have I mentioned before that these two are the easiest-going animal companions I've ever known? I was worried when Frey went blind that he would have a hard time adapting and Odie would be stressed. Frey went from having some cataracts in both eyes to not being able to see anything at all quickly. For a little while, he could only get around by moving incrementally and using his beak like a white cane. Odie would feed Frey and pick up his favorite seeds and hold them while Frey cracked them open. It was a very sweet thing to see, but fortunately Frey has adjusted very well and is able to eat without help. We change out their toys for fresh ones sometimes but otherwise keep everything exactly where it has been for the last few years. I re-made one of their toys recently with Christmas style covering- Frey couldn't tell the difference and carried on like normal, but Odie became temporarily distressed that Frey was on this suspicious object.

They don't like coming out to play much anymore, but they have a huge cage that is set up with space for them to fly. Odie does most of the flying these days, but Frey has become adept at navigating their living space via the fastest possible route. They're still really sociable. Anytime we go over to see them they come over and chat with us excitedly.

I love these guys so much. They're such wonderful birds. I'm so happy they're doing so well into old age.
    Last edited by Enko_chan; 11-29-2021 at 04:58 PM.
    Midi,
    Frey, Odie , Auri, Fili , Mae, Burbank , Iris & Hermes

Default Re: Frey & Odie adapting to growing older

It's nothing short of amazing how well parrots can adjust to their situation/short comings. Cataracts/vision loss is very common in older birds so their living situations have to be modified. Like you, I try to keep everything in the same place so they know their way around without being able to see it. As long as there is ample room to move around to the extent that they can, it's the best you can do for them. I am so very glad that they are both doing well. They truly have the best possible human slave to take care of them!!
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.