Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beethoven

Default Re: Beethoven

So sad they would raffle her off but boy was she lucky you were the winner.
    Happiness is spending time with your lovebird

Actually, I went to the show with a close breeder friend of mine and she had the winning ticket. She didn't want Alex so I swapped 3 proven pairs of Green Masked Lovebirds and a bit of cash for Alex. I didn't want to see Alex get into the pet trade where she would change owners almost constantly. That was in 1997 and I'm her only owner. I've never regretted taking her.
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

Oh wow. Lucky girl Alex. ❤️

Well, I decided not to adopt Beethoven. I put a lot of thought into it and as much as I want to give him a good home I don’t think I can do it right now.

I can well understand when you see a bird that you could give a home but it's just not right at the moment. I'm sure the decision was made with your flock in mind and not every bird fits in. I remember when I adopted Sonny (CAG) from a breeder in South Florida. He had a mate but he's so aggressive that she had chewed all her flight, tail and most of her body feathering so that she was a mess of scabs and bare skin. I knew I could not keep both of them and Sonny was too aggressive to adopt out again so I kept him and found her a new home. My home was just not big enough to keep them separated from each other without one or both of them being caged and that just wasn't fair. It was not an easy decision but I did what was best for her.

Even now, Sonny can be aggressive and we have to be careful when we handle him. He's super smart and can get into more mischief quicker than any parrot I've ever seen!!!

Hopefully, Beethoven will find a wonderful, loving home.
    Linda L.

How come I feel guilty now 😭😭😭😭

I really hope he finds a good home. 🙏

What made you decide not to adopt him?
    Linda L.

A few reasons made me change my mind.

First is the dynamics my three lovies have now. They?re really happy with their setup. Max and Gabe both love Raphie (female). They both feed her and are so protective of her. It?s like she?s their baby sister. It?s really sweet to watch. I?m afraid a fourth may change that.

The second reason is the one on one time each bird needs. Lily is very demanding and she needs a lot of time with me which would take away from spending time with Beethoven. That wouldn?t be fair to him, especially during his quarantine time away from the lovie gang.

I hope I?m making the right decision.

You are right that one more bird could completely change flock dynamics! You essentially have a lovie trio who keep each other company while you spend time with Lily and a conure who thinks you are her personal slave! Having the 4 of them interact may or may never happen. It wouldn't be fair to add another lovie who might end up being an outsider singleton.....maybe. I actually have a few lovebirds who don't want companions. Echo (male Abby) was one of them. As long as he knew there were other birds near him, he was happy. Up close and personal in his cage space was unacceptable. I have an Orangeface Lutino Peachie who is the same way, very aggressive. As long as she is with other lovebirds, she's fine, just not living with them.

I think I would check back with the Humane Society in another month and see if they still have Beethoven. Perhaps re-assess the situation.
    Linda L.

They?re all little complex individuals with their own big personalities. Angels sent from God.

I will be reassessing my situation daily and checking in on Beethoven. ❤️

They?re all little complex individuals with their own big personalities. Angels sent from God.
    They truly are! As I get older, I have to give consideration to those of my flock who could possibly outlive me and making a good decision for them is one of the hardest things I've ever had to do in my life! I want them to have home where someone else will love and care for them as much as I do. It has nothing to do with money, as birds seem to have great monetary value right now, but just finding someone who will cherish them for who they are.
    Linda L.