Thread: Funny Lil Punkin

Default Funny Lil Punkin

Morning Linda

Ive been enjoying the new birds. However I have a question about Punkin who is now 8 months. She seemingly is always trying to regurgitate on my fingers. Nothing comes up. But when I try to get her to play, this is what she wants to do. Do you think she'll grow out of this. I know shes bonded to me more than Skyler because she doesnt try it with him. (But he does with her.)

Thx and hope all is well with you.

Ellen

Default Re: Funny Lil Punkin

She seemingly is always trying to regurgitate on my fingers. Nothing comes up. But when I try to get her to play, this is what she wants to do. Do you think she'll grow out of this.
    Punkin really loves you and this removes any doubt that anyone might have had! Parrots want to feed those they care about and that's exactly what Punkin is trying to do. Even if nothing comes up, she's making the effort to show you that she care a lot about you. She probably won't outgrow this, although the attempts may lessen as she gets older. The best suggestion I can think of is use a distraction when she is with you. Dao, my male Military Macaw, will attempt to feed me and the last thing I want is food he's already digesting! I simply keep him away from my fingers and away from my mouth, as he will try to feed either/or. Dao loves head scritches and rubs under his wings so I use that as a distraction. He made a lot more attempts when he was younger but he's slowed down now. I think he likes the head scritches more than he wants to feed me! Take this as an honor, as parrots will only feed those they like.
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

OK. I guess Im her chosen mate. Sorry Skyler. I have been trying to skritch her head because princesse loved it but so far she doesnt sit still for that. I do hope she outgrows the regur and starts liking head rubs. LOL

Hugs Linda and have a happy Easter. BTW we always get rabbits in our yard--tame them with carrots. This year there are 2 that run to our patio when ever my husband goes outside.

Give Punkin some time with head scritches. Most parrots LOVE them once they realize how nice it feels. Dao, my male Military Macaw, will literally turn his head upside down so I can scratch under his beak! It's his most vulnerable spot on his body, but he trusts that I will not hurt him. You do seem to be the chosen slave..... Skyler can play second fiddle.......

Like your husband, Ken's buddies are squirrels, 5 of them. We open the garage door and here they come, wanting peanuts, cashews, almonds and any other kind of nut we happen to have. Our parrot mix contains corn, which is just filler for the seed, so I take out the corn and the birds get that. Nothing wasted around here. Hope you and yours have a nice Easter, as well.
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

Quote Originally Posted by linda040899 View Post
    Give Punkin some time with head scritches. Most parrots LOVE them once they realize how nice it feels. Dao, my male Military Macaw, will literally turn his head upside down so I can scratch under his beak! It's his most vulnerable spot on his body, but he trusts that I will not hurt him. You do seem to be the chosen slave..... Skyler can play second fiddle.......

Like your husband, Ken's buddies are squirrels, 5 of them. We open the garage door and here they come, wanting peanuts, cashews, almonds and any other kind of nut we happen to have. Our parrot mix contains corn, which is just filler for the seed, so I take out the corn and the birds get that. Nothing wasted around here. Hope you and yours have a nice Easter, as well.
    You should be here in the evening. Walk outside with a red coffee can full of seed and here they come, rabbits, ducks Junko's, cardinals and sparrows will mob you.

Last week my brother was late feeding them and a pair of mallard ducks were walking from one spot to the next looking for food. I put some out for them and they didn't even wait for me to finish before they were on it.

Ditto used to act like Dao, head upside down for chin scritches.....
    Dave and Ditto (he still lets me list my name first)