Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Too much, too soon

Default Re: Too much, too soon

Let's see...

The tree's up, garland on the mantle, wreath above the fireplace that matches the garland, stocking hanging, handmade snowman wreath on front door, snowflake lights in the ground, spiral tree beside snowflakes, garland and bows hanging on porch railing and handmade mailbox decoration done. I haven't put out my collectables yet.

No shopping done - no money
    Jackie
    I live in my own little world, but it's ok...they know me there.

No money here either ... but that's what the plastic is for, right? If I'm ordering online, it's got to go that way, anyway. And it's definitely worth not having to drive around on a mad scavenger hunt for gifts.

One bummer, though. I ordered some really inexpensive curtains (like $9.95/panel) from Overstock, just to block some of the drafts from the larger windows. Their courier (in this case FedEx) claims to have delivered it because I didn't require getting a signature. They also said nobody was home the first two times they tried to deliver, which seems odd since it didn't require a sig ... anyway, I WORK FROM A HOME OFFICE. My office window looks out onto the street; I see every vehicle coming and going. I was home every day they said they attempted delivery, and the day they said it was actually delivered.

Somebody swiped my curtains.

I registered a complaint with Overstock, and FedEx is starting an inquiry. If they choose to insist that the package was delivered, I'll be taking it up with my credit card. I *can* prove I was here.
    Barb

Happiness is a firm banana

Barb, get Miss Gracie to vouch for you!

Btw, I've had that happen....I was home, they said they "tried" to deliver, they lied! I hate when that happens!
    Janie

Oliver, RIP
    Big Boi
    Shy

Quote Originally Posted by Janie
    Barb, get Miss Gracie to vouch for you!

Btw, I've had that happen....I was home, they said they "tried" to deliver, they lied! I hate when that happens!
    No, let Miss Gracie set the mean postman straight

All I have to say about X-Mas is BAH HUMBUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Laura O

We usually have everything set up the first weekend of December, but that didn't happen this year. I work every weekend (for over two years, now), so I don't help a whole lot. I do a bit of decorating, maybe help with the baking (cooking isn't my thing) but I'm generally too tired after running around for eight hours beforehand. I think there's one batch of christmas cookies made so far. ;p I also haven't done any of my christmas shopping, mainly because people won't tell me what they would like. So I suppose I get to guess.
    ~Lisa~

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherJ
    Next year I'll probably be giving away masked lovies babies to everyone as I'm sure the house will be full of them by then.

Hmmm, can I be on your chrismas list? I'll send you a card.
    Dave and Ditto (he still lets me list my name first)

Heather,

You could have an auction to help pay for the postage We'd make you rich - well, sort of
    Jackie
    I live in my own little world, but it's ok...they know me there.

Wow, I want some of that energy I had last year. I'm not even close to having that much stuff done, and it's a week later in the season. What's more, I don't care!
    Barb

Happiness is a firm banana

The only shopping I have left to do is for my husband. I didn't ask for anything this Christmas since I have been absolutely spoiled all year with Max and other expensive things Dan felt I deserved. Dan says that the vet bill for the cat is his Christmas present. I'd still like him to have a little something to open up Christmas morning.

Not one decoration up this year. We don't actually put up a tree or any decoration for that matter. I don't know yet if I'm working Christmas or not so all we bought so far is the turkey and the cranberries.

I'll either sit back and laugh after work on Christmas day or I will be running around like a mad chicken with it's head cut off next weekend.

So Barb, you are way ahead of schedule compared to some other people. Good work!
    Elle

It's not a coincidence that both birds and angels have wings!

"Many have forgotten this truth but you must not forget it.
    We remain responsible forever for what we have tamed."

Well, my fiance who is Christian insisted on getting the tree the weekend after Thanksgiving. This poor little Jewish boy had no idea how much trouble this was. Bought the tree, set it up. Then the lights. Then the ornaments. Whoo, finished right? NO.

Then the decorations around the house. Down come pictures, shelves are cleared, knicknacks stored. Why? so new pictures can go up, shelves can be filled with other stuff, and more knicknacks come out. OK, done, right?

NO. Need the train to go around the tree. Got the train off ebay. Set it up. Didn't work. Spent hours reconditioning the motor and track. All set? Yes. Done?

NO. We've got all this Christmas stuff. Fiance feels bad. Where's the Hanukkah stuff? What Hanukkah stuff? I've got a menorah. It goes on a shelf. Some candles, we're all set. Not good enough. Off to the store. Walmart, KMart, Target... boycotting Hanukkah decorations this year, interesting. Off to the Jewish store. New menorah, many dreidels. Lots of stuff to hang.

Down comes some Christmas stuff. Up goes Hanukkah stuff. Room is balanced right? No. We need a Hanukkah train. Back to Ebay. No such thing exists. Buy a blue train. Buy some Jewish Trinkets. Hand decorate the train when it arrives. Buy a new train car, buy a spare menorah. Glue the menorah to the car. Lay out the track.

Guess what? It doesn't work. Take train engine apart. Replace a few parts. Put train back together. Still doesn't work. Take track apart, clean track. Buy new power connectors. Put train back on track. One train runs clockwise, one runs counterclockwise. CRASH.

Large outside track isn't large enough. Buy a new piece of track. Cut track. Fit together. Tape down track. Put train back on. Run trains. PERFECT.

DONE??? YES.

Oh wait... time to buy gifts. Christmas gifts for her family, Hanukkah gifts for my family. Big Christmas gift for her. 8 little Hanukkah gifts for her. Thousands of stores. Hours of fighting shoppers. Start earlier next year and order everything online.

Done??? FINALLY.

Fly up to NJ for Hanukkah this Friday. Long weekend up north. Come back, work a few days. Clean the house for Christmas Eve at our house. Christmas at her parent's.

Done??? Oh no... then we'll have to take it all apart again...

Life was easier for a single Jewish boy....