Thread: Just being Parrots....

Default Just being Parrots....

Karate experts hired to control marauding parrots in New Zealand

28 minutes ago

WELLINGTON, N.Z. (AP) - Organizers of a vintage car rally in New Zealand have hired karate experts to protect vehicles from marauding native parrots, a news report said Friday.
    About 40 members of a karate club have been enlisted to protect some 140 classic cars due to visit an alpine village near Mount Cook on New Zealand's South Island on Sunday, the New Zealand Press Association reported.
    The karate experts will protect the cars from Keas, sharp-beaked native parrots which have been known to damage vehicles in their search for shiny items, NZPA said.
    Denis Callesen, manager of the nearby Hermitage Hotel, said bird lovers needn't be concerned the karate experts would use martial arts moves on the parrots, which are a protected species. Their job would simply be to scare the birds away, he said.
    Local wildlife ranger Ray Bellringer said the karate masters are unlikely to deter the Keas.
    "They will fly around and laugh," he said.
    The best method to prevent Keas from damaging vehicles is to squirt them with water pistols, he added.
    Flock-a-doodle-dooooooo

Default Re: Just being Parrots....

Karate masters vs. birds, huh?
    ~Jennifer
    He** hath no fury like a nesty hen

Well, if you gotta protect something...karate style.

I'm thinkin' the birds will win.
    ~Lisa~

Several years back, I remember seeing something about Keas on a special about parrots. They can quite literally take a car apart if they find something on it that attracts them! At least the mission is to scare them away!
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

LOL,

Would that make a great movie or what??? Picture all these martial arts dudes out there kicking and screaming, arms flaying, and the parrots dive bombing just laughing their little tails off

Yep, I think a water pistol would work much better
    "Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath
    her, still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings."
    -Victor Hugo

Lori

I'm still trying to puzzle out how they got an Alpine village in NZ ... One would typically find them among the Alps.
    Barb

Happiness is a firm banana

Barb, I had to giggle at that comment. But I recalled seeing something on the Travel channel about the mountains in New Zealand and how they are similar to the Alps. So of course, I spent my working hours surfing, not working and found this place... http://www.hermitage.co.nz/ Gorgeous!!!

I'd love to see the "Kung Fu" masters taking on the Keas....like the ranger said, the birds would just laug at them!!!
    MJ

Quote Originally Posted by linda040899
    Several years back, I remember seeing something about Keas on a special about parrots. They can quite literally take a car apart if they find something on it that attracts them! At least the mission is to scare them away!
    I saw a show about them last year, maybe the same one. They put a car along the side of the road and the Keas had it dismantled in about an hour.

Then a researcher made a rather nifty puzzle for them to try and get food. She made it easy at first and then made it progressively harder each time. It took them no more than a minute and a half to get the food out. Smart birds.

My money is on the Keas!
    Dave and Ditto (he still lets me list my name first)

Thats so funny. I can just see a clip on America's funniest home videos where you see Karate men running around going "HI-YA!!!" and birds flying around squaking (or laughing). I would love to see a video of that.
    Mandy & Kameko