Thread: Walking

Default Walking

I've noticed that one of my lovies, Etna, tends to walk with her bum up higher in the air compared to the other lovies. It looks pretty strange to watch her walk around. I was just curious if anyone else's did this, or if you have a clue as to why Etna might.
    ~Lisa~

Default Re: Walking

I have one bird that does that when he needs to make a poopie. He also has some weird tailfeathers and I think he does it when he gets the tailfeather itches.

Ensure your bird is not constipated. If not, he should be ok with the weird stance. Can't offer any advice regarding it as a behavior issue though.
    Shy
    "Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?"
    -Robert Browning-

She's been doing it for some time now (months), and is not constipated. At first, I thought her legband was possibly the issue, but now that it's removed, she's still walking the same way. Her tail feathers are fine. But thanks for the input.
    ~Lisa~

Does she run with her beak down on the surface? Blu does that she will run around beak down on the desk ( or other surface) and tail up. I don't know why either
    Elle

It's not a coincidence that both birds and angels have wings!

"Many have forgotten this truth but you must not forget it.
    We remain responsible forever for what we have tamed."

Nope, just that feather but up in the air, beak up the normal way it's supposed to be. She's fine while in her cage climbing around and on perches, it's just when she's out on a flat surface, I find.
    ~Lisa~

They all are such little individuals, aren't they? And it is so much fun to discover each one's little habits and quirks. To recognize each one's personality.
    Shy
    "Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?"
    -Robert Browning-

Lisa,

Sounds like she's proud of her "junk in the trunk". Hey, if I had a pretty little feather butt, I'd walk around with it up in the air too

Seriously, Lacey does this also sometimes. I have noticed that when she puts on a couple extra ounces she tends to "strut her stuff" a little more prominently. How much does your hen weigh? Lacey weighs a whopping 58-62 grams most times.
    "Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath
    her, still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings."
    -Victor Hugo

Lori

Heheh, Etna isn't exactly the skinniest lovie around! I haven't weighed her yet (she isn't finger friendly, just arm and shoulder friendly), but if I can get her to walk on the scale, I'll record it here.
    ~Lisa~

Lisa,

I trick my fids into getting weighed. I have one of the little cozy caves that Shy here made, it is a little tent like structure. Anyway, I weigh the tent, get the bird to go inside(easy to do) and them weigh the bird and tent together. I then subtract the weight of the tent from that total, and WALLA!!!! Bird weight

I can't get either lovie to stand still on a scale, so this works good for us. Just thought I'd pass my devious method on to ya
    "Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath
    her, still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings."
    -Victor Hugo

Lori

Excellent idea! I haven't given any of my birdies cozy huts, but I may be able to entice her onto the scale with a piece of spray millet. Just gotta find the scale...
    ~Lisa~