Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: College and companion animals

Default College and companion animals

Does anyone have any college experiences with pets in apartments? By now I'm quite sure that animals are prohibited in most dorms, so I'm leaning towards renting a one-roomed or studio apartment in college. Hopefully, if my income in the future would allow it, I would be able to house a mid-sized dog as well as a lovebird in my apartment.
    Last edited by Kumashe; 02-15-2021 at 12:04 PM.

Default Re: College and companion animals

Birds are much more accepted in apartments than dogs. Apartments that allow dogs are generally much more expensive, although you may be able to find a regular apartment that, if you talk to the landlord, may allow you to keep a dog.

American Indian Dogs are MUCH too large for an apartment, and it would be cruel to house one in such conditions. Plus, I doubt you could find an apartment that would allow a dog of that size. You do realize how big they can get, don't you? They need lots of room to run and play outside. If you're looking for an aparment dog, stick to dogs that are generally thirty pounds and less.
    ~Lisa~

Even that link you provided says 40-70lbs.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/nativeamericanindiandog.htm

They can get very large. Even a 40lb dog in an apartment is not suitable, especially if they have higher energy levels.
    ~Lisa~

I would also give a dog in a small apartment a lot of thought before doing that and sometimes a large dog, i.e. a Great Dane, can be a great apartment dog while a small dog, like my 20 pound Sheltie, would be miserable in a small area. Some small dogs need more space and exercise than a large dog.

As to lovebirds in and apartment....I think that would be much easier and more doable!
    Janie

Oliver, RIP
    Big Boi
    Shy

"Moderate. Should have 2 short walks a day at a minimum. Must have a fenced in yard. Not good for apartment style of living."

Read it all, hun.

Great Dane's can be all right, but I personally would not have one if I were living in an apartment.

Kumashe, do you not like smaller breeds?
    ~Lisa~

I pretty much agree with everyone else so far. Living in an apartment is not fair to a dog over 30 pounds. The dog you have been showing links too would be very unhappy which would result in shredded furniture, peeing everywhere, etc. Even if you were home and you would take it out on walks, it is not fair. Would you be able to justfy keeping a lovebird in a shoe box if you are going to take it out and let it fly around a few times a day, i would hope not. My advice is getting a lovie for now and wait on the dog until you have a place that is larger and will allow a dog to have a yard to run around in (off a leash). I have had a little 12lb dog before and I find my bird is more entertaining, and my little dog was hilarious. You still get the love, misus the licking, and cleaning up a bird cage is much for pleasent than a baggy to pick up poop with. Don't get me wrong, dogs are amazing animals and i can't wait to get my golden retriever, but you have to think what will be fair to the dog and put it on hold until you are ready to properly accomidate one. Best of luck
    Mandy & Kameko

Then you haven't looked at very many breeds. Have you come across the Bichon Frise? They are excellent little dogs, and probably my favourite small breed. They are also active, but will do fine in an apartment. Also, they're hypoallergenic, which is always a plus.
    ~Lisa~