Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beak colour

Question Beak colour

Just wondering at what age does the black on the beak go away? I got my little Amaretto almost two weeks ago and it seems to be fading. Also, at what age do they have their first molt? Is it 4-6 months? What happens when they molt - is it just getting new feathers? Do they change in colour slightly?

Default Re: Beak colour

The black on the beak of baby lovies will fade and eventually disappear by the time the bird is about 15-16 weeks old. Additionally the baby will begin it's first molt around 4-5 months as you said, and although this won't change the birds' color totally, it does intensify the existing colors and the bird will develop it's full peach face. A blue series bird will simply get a melon colored brow, a green series bird will acquire a bib to forehead red/orange face. I found the first molt to be the 'biggest' molt in that it changes the intensity of the colors moreso than any other molt the bird has in it's life. Basically, yes they just change feathers, but this is usually accompanied by crankiness and nippyness as well as more preening and sometimes just plain itching. you'll discover simply lots of fuzzy down feathers first, then the colored ones will gradually replace themselves, finally ending with the tail and wing feathers. You can increase bath frequencies, and make sure the bird gets lots of fresh foods as well as the regular seed diet. It's stressful, but it helps birdie get through it a little less 'ruffled' if you know what I mean LOL
    Good Luck
    K
    Flock-a-doodle-dooooooo

Sorry to bring this topic back to life, but I have another question related to beaks. Does beak color have any relation to the actual colour of the bird? I know red beaks are usually only on Fischer's, but what about peach beaks and yellow beaks? For example, 'Peach-faced lovebirds can only have yellow beaks' (bad exampe, but I hope you understand).

Most peachies will have a horn colored beak (yellow). Some mutations do have a 2toned beak, pink and horn. Looking through the photo albums will show you the differences between colorations
    Good Question!!
    Flock-a-doodle-dooooooo

Quote Originally Posted by kimsbirds
    Most peachies will have a horn colored beak (yellow). Some mutations do have a 2toned beak, pink and horn. Looking through the photo albums will show you the differences between colorations
    Good Question!!
    Yep. Seagreen peachies have 2 toned beaks. Like my Ditto, it's pink at the top and fades to "horn" colored about halfway down.
    Dave and Ditto (he still lets me list my name first)

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Taxman
    Yep. Seagreen peachies have 2 toned beaks. Like my Ditto, it's pink at the top and fades to "horn" colored about halfway down.
    That's what colour my DB's beak is. I thought it was going to be all yellow ("horn"), but it's peach/pink at the top. Thanks for the answer kimsbirds.

Hello new here but joined to ask a quite specific beak colour question. Our most resent rescue came to us with a very washed out pink beak which was dark black on tip. Dax’s beak recently started to change and become two toned pink & horn coloured. What age does this happen? As we are trying to guess his age as accurately as possible. I think he is possibly juvenile or transitioning to an adult bird so my best guess is around 1-2year old. Would love to hear your thoughts on this? We were told the bird was over 4years old but I don’t think that’s quite right and my vet agrees that Dax is younger than that. Any help would be much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Taxman View Post

Hi and congratulations on adopting a rescue lovebird!

Can you share a picture of your lovebird's beak so I can see what you see? In order to share photos here, you need to upload your picture to an online storage site such as Imgur. Then copy/paste the image URL here and we can see what you see. There are certain timelines when you can tell age by beak and feathering colors.
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

Hello thank you for replying,

I set up a public account there like you suggested and here is the link:

https://imgur.com/user/laurablueanddax

The first decent pic was taken in July where Dax beak was mostly pink and very very pale. Not long after he arrived with us. He’s very timid so pic quality not the best.

The second pic shows his beak is starting to turn horn at bottom that was August and now it is half and half.

Any ideas on age would be super helpful! He’s my third rescue lovebird but I’ve been lucky to get a hatchdate for the others.

Many thanks Laura x

Dax is a very petty AquaTurquoise Peachfaced Lovebird! Based on what you are telling me, my best age guess is about 6-8 months old. The brow and bib feather coloring are already adult and that finishes by age 6 months. Let me explain the 2 tone beak coloring. AquaTurquoise (Seagreen is the common American nomenclature) indicates split for whiteface. In Peachfaced genetic colors, there is green series and blue series. Green series lovies have reddish peach brow and bib color. Blue series have either white or cantelope brow and bib coloring. The Aqua mution has cantelope brow and bib. Turquoise has white brow and bib. If you pair an Aqua mutation with a Turquoise mutation, the babies inherit genes from both parents and the mutation becomes AquaTurquoise (split for whiteface). This mutation has the two toned beaks, pink at the top and fading to horn at the bottom. The coloring is quite striking.
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.