Thread: Introducing a new lovebird

Question Introducing a new lovebird

Hi,

I currently have two lovebirds. My neighbour's colleague has recently died leaving her one lovebird without a home.
    My neighbour has offered me the bird but I need a little advice first. Would it be okay to introduce a new bird into the family? Or would the other birds pick a fight?
    I know peach-faced lovebirds are pretty aggressive so I thought I'd best ask first.

Quick responses would be hugely appreciated, thanks.

Matt

Default Re: Introducing a new lovebird

Hi Matt,

If you decide to take the new bird, first quarrantine for at least 30 days and have the bird checked out by an avian vet. After quarrantine, introducing your current birds to the newbie will take some time and patience. Since there will be an uneven number (3) it could work out between them or you might have an oddball out. I had the same problem with three and I now have four. Things have worked out better with four.
    Jackie
    I live in my own little world, but it's ok...they know me there.

Hi Matt and welcome. Jackie gave you the quarantine info. and that is very important to the health of your existing lovies. I would also have an avian vet check done with the new bird if you decide to get it.

I have three and it's OK but not an ideal number. My older bird, adopted by us over two years ago, is very bonded to me and gets along with all family members. I want another lovie but figured that it would be better to get two instead of one so that they could be a couple and I also knew it would be unlikely that my older bird (he's 9 or 10 years old) would bond/accept a much, much younger bird. I did get two more, DNA'd brothers (I don't want babies) and after about 7 months all three do get along but I am careful to monitor them when all three are out of their cages. My older bird actually gets along very well with one of the new kids but the other one is very much the Alpha bird and will chase his brother and my Oliver when he feels like it. No bites or blood but I watched them like a hawk before I was satisfied that Oliver would be safe and they are NOT caged together at night. Oliver has his own cage and the other two share a cage. I have three males and I am sure that if there was one female in the mix, that might cause problems. Do you know the sex of your birds or the one in need of a home?

Good luck in what ever you decide to do.
    Janie

Oliver, RIP
    Big Boi
    Shy

I find the more the merrier Out of my 4, I have 2 females and 2 males. The females are paired and same with the males (sort of). One of the males, Molly, is very bonded to me and the others I purchased at different times. My second bird, Daisy, is ALL hen. She thinks she rules the roost and LOVES the last birdie I got, Olivia. Now, Piper, my third lovie, has befriended Molly in the last couple of months, much to my amazment. Molly NEVER liked any of the new birds and always ran when they headed his direction. Molly & Piper get along for a bit, but Molly usually comes running back to me when he's had enough. So, as you can see, it can work out, but by nature of lovies, they like to be even numbered.
    Jackie

Yep, quarantine for a minimum of thirty days if you do get the new birdie. This means that the new bird is kept in a separate room from your current two birds, your hands are washed after handling the new bird and items s/he has come in contact with, and a robe or sweater is used solely for the new bird (remove and keep in the new bird's room when you leave).

Having three lovies shouldn't be a problem. I would never house them all together in the same cage, though. Once they've all gotten used to each other, they can have supervised playtime together outside of their cages. But since birds generally will 'pair up', the third bird may become the odd one out, and may be picked on or even killed if left alone with the other two birds. So please be careful, and good luck, if you decide to take in the new lovie.
    ~Lisa~

Thanks people, I appreciate all the help. I've decided to take on the bird so I'll keep you all updated.

The former owner, I've just found out, was an old lady with psychiatric problems and therefore the bird wasn't really cared for. I suspect I'll need to put a huge amount of effort into this to improve the bird's condition.

Thanks again everyone, I do appreciate it.

Good for you Matt! I just rescued two lovies last week who where not taken care of and they are now getting a better life

After quarrantine, when you begin introducing him to your flock, first sit their cages close by so they can observe, talk, just interact with each other. Give it time and play with your two in view of the new one so he can see that you are friendly and mean no harm. Your tame lovies can play a big part in you being able to tame the new one if it's not tamed. If you want to do some taming before quarrantine is up, you can take the new lovie in it's cage to a bathroom, cover any mirrors, cover any dangerous opportunities (water) and keep it dimly lit, but enough to see. Open the cage door and let him come to you. Talk softly and let him explore you & his surroundings. This will take time, but it will be well worth it.
    Jackie

Matt, yes, good for you! You can improve this birds life and with time and patience, you might be able to gain his trust. I adopted a much older bird, not abused but definitely neglected, and it has been a match made in heaven. Good luck and keep in touch!
    Janie

Oliver, RIP
    Big Boi
    Shy