Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Really worried about grieving lovebird

Unhappy Really worried about grieving lovebird

Hello, Bess, I wanted to thank you for posting your loss of Frank and concerns about Pat's grieving. The responses have helped me as I just recently lost Tux, my 3-year-old male, and am worried for my female, Nip, as she is despondent. Tux was an absolute sweetheart and Nip and I miss him so much. How is Pat doing now? I was thinking of looking for another lonely lovebird to keep in a separate cage in the same room to see if that did any good. Anyway, I appreciated reading all the responses generated from your post. Kind regards, Deb

Default Re: Really worried about grieving lovebird

Quote Originally Posted by DebSpace View Post
    I was thinking of looking for another lonely lovebird to keep in a separate cage in the same room to see if that did any good
    My six year old black masked lovie, Zimber lost his mate of five years earlier in the year. He is not handtame, but is very human friendly. He has had absolutely zero interest in any of our other birds and we have a young masked lovebird that would be a great partner for him. Instead, Zimber has become a lot closer to us humans. First, he attached to my brother in law, but since he moved out I've become the object of his affections when my husband isn't home. I think I would wait and just spend some extra time with Nip. It may be that you two hit it off and there's no need for another bird or if she seems lonely after this adjustment period you may bring another bird into her life.

Good Luck
    Laura O

Default Re: Really worried about grieving lovebird

Quote Originally Posted by DebSpace View Post
    I was thinking of looking for another lonely lovebird to keep in a separate cage in the same room to see if that did any good
    My six year old black masked lovie, Zimber lost his mate of five years earlier in the year. He is not handtame, but is very human friendly. He has had absolutely zero interest in any of our other birds and we have a young masked lovebird that would be a great partner for him. Instead, Zimber has become a lot closer to us humans. First, he attached to my brother in law, but since he moved out I've become the object of his affections when my husband isn't home. I think I would wait and just spend some extra time with Nip. It may be that you two hit it off and there's no need for another bird or if she seems lonely after this adjustment period you may bring another bird into her life. For our situation, Zimber is not interested in another bird and even when we brought Squeaker home for him it took months and months of Squeaker's incessant resolve to be Zimber's friend that finally one him over. Of course, every situation is different so give it some time and see where things go from here.

I am so sorry for your loss
    Laura O