Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting a Lovebird Today

Default Re: Getting a Lovebird Today

Hi and Welcome

Tuna is adorable, and she sounds like she is settling in very well. It sounds as if she will be spoiled rotten in no time, and that of course is exactly as it should be

If you hang a millet spray by her food dish it might help her locate it easier. Millet spray is like candy to birds, and they will go where the millet is. Hold it up to her and let her get a nibble, and then clip it to the cage by her food dish. You don't want to give millet spray everyday, but once or twice a week is fine.

I look forward to hearing all about your progress with Tuna, and wanted to ensure that it is very possible to have a bond with a parent raised bird. I got my Lacey when she was two years old, and she was parent raised, never held, and she is just the sweetest little thing ever. It did take awhile, but of course Tuna is younger, so keep up the every day interaction, and she will be a velcro birdy in no time
    "Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath
    her, still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings."
    -Victor Hugo

Lori

Well. it's been 2 and a half days since we've bought her home...

The millet spray next to her food did the trick!she now eats and drinks without a problem from her dishes.

Her fave spot in the house is on the window sill looking out and she has taken a liking to my husband (hence me calling her a she)... when ever her enters the room and talks, she get all shy and makes little noises towards him, then get on his shoulder and 'cuddles' his neck and hair!

She is adjusting so well to life out of the avary, I'm so pleased.

Congratulations !
    We've all made little tweaks in routine (ie: millet beside food dish) to make sure our little fids are familiar with their new surroundings. Remember that once she figures out the food/water dish thing, to remove the millet and only give it as a treat a couple of times a week.
    I'm so glad to hear that Tuna is adjusting to a one-birdie situation. Sounds like your hubby is gonna be a pushover to 50 grams of feathers !!!

Kimmie
    Flock-a-doodle-dooooooo

Hey,

I'm glad the millet lure worked. We have all been known to use millet spray as a little bribe at times. Hey, you use what you can, to achieve what you want. It's all good

Yep, sounds like your lovie is smitten with your hubby and vice-versa
    "Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath
    her, still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings."
    -Victor Hugo

Lori

I must say that the millet just seemed to be a lure, not a treat.. she's harldy touched the millet, but is devouring her seeds, so will leave it there for her to have when she feels like it.