Thread: Mango's bf hating and the Newbe Kodiak

Default Mango's bf hating and the Newbe Kodiak

Well my poor boyfriend still gets the brunt of Mango’s bites. Mango doesn't have an issue with anyone but him. I have decided it must be jealousy and Mango has decided for himself that he can't share me with anyone else. Mango completely goes out of his way to pretend to be playing and then onto a mission of sneaking a fast attack to hunie's fingers, running from across the couch all the way up his arm to bite him for no reason. There have been many time-outs and one-on-one talks. So far...still happening. I even got a call from him while I was at work along the lines of 'Mango is being mean to me and I can't do anything.' Oh how I miss those days when Mango was a baby and would snuggle with him for hours...patience.

Even after scolding, Mango gives me a funny look then runs over for kisses. Crazy lovie.

On another note, last week we finally introduced the new bird Kodiak, a female Dutch Blue lovebird, to Mango once the separation was up. Kodiak is one little butterball, and literally a ball in shape. She eats constantly and yet only weighed in at 39 grams at her new bird visit which I'm sure has increased. No problems so far with eating new foods since she likes to do what Mango does.
    Mango completely adores the newbe and they have gotten along great. For the first couple of days he was so over excited that he would tend to step on her and had to get used to being a gentle preener.
    They each have their own cage, cozi, and toys. Everyday it's been playtime together on their gym, including me, apparently I'm prime playing grounds to them. So I have to say I'm lucky that I now have two velcro babies that love to visit me and play together on their own. What everyone says about lovies is true...they are very unwilling to share, even when there is more then one of the same thing right in front of them. I just love to watch them jump around and head off on explorations together with Kodiak following Mango's every action...she just better not pick up on his biting

I will post some pictures soon so check out the Photo Album in the next two days of my cutties
    ~Sarah

Default Re: Mango's bf hating and the Newbe Kodiak

Thinking about those two sweet birdies together just puts a big old smile on my face, Sarah. It is really a beautiful thing to watch, when two lovies hit it off with each other. They look like the happiest birds in the world.
    Barb

Happiness is a firm banana

Sarah, like Barb, this post put a huge smile on my face! Well, not about the bf but about how well they are getting along together! I am blessed to have three that like each other and that has kept me from pulling my hair out!

Again, I agree with Barb. Seeing one lovebird with another is just the best feeling. I am so happy that I got a couple of buddies for Oliver (not to mention for me, too!).
    Janie

Oliver, RIP
    Big Boi
    Shy

Sarah,

I'm really glad to hear your two are getting along. You just never know and you have done a good job with quarrantine & introductions. I can't wait to see the pictures
    Jackie
    I live in my own little world, but it's ok...they know me there.

Sarah: It's not surprising that Mango goes out of his way to bite your boyfriend, especially if he sees you as his mate. Birds are very jealous animals and are prone to defending their territory and mates. Hopefully, this behavior will change as he and Kodiak spend more time together and get to lovin' on each other .
    Laura O

Quote Originally Posted by LauraO
    Sarah: It's not surprising that Mango goes out of his way to bite your boyfriend, especially if he sees you as his mate. Birds are very jealous animals and are prone to defending their territory and mates. Hopefully, this behavior will change as he and Kodiak spend more time together and get to lovin' on each other .
    That really is the truth! The only time Oliver has ever opened that little beak to bite is when he is on me, tucked under my hair, and any other family member tries to take him away. He is very friendly to my DH and sons unless he's on his momma and then, watch out!
    Janie

Oliver, RIP
    Big Boi
    Shy