Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moulting

Question Moulting

HI Everybody!

Biscuit has been dropping feathers for more than 3 weeks now... how long will this moulting process last? none of the flight nor tail feathers have been dropped yet.
    Mandy

Default Re: Moulting

In our house, a good molting runs about 5-6 weeks on average. Flights and tails are the last to go
    Hope this helps !!!
    Flock-a-doodle-dooooooo

Quote Originally Posted by kimsbirds View Post
    In our house, a good molting runs about 5-6 weeks on average. Flights and tails are the last to go
    Hope this helps !!!
    Ditto moults for at least 6 weeks. Sometimes I think he does it just for fun.
    Dave and Ditto (he still lets me list my name first)

Quote Originally Posted by kimsbirds View Post
    Hope this helps !!!
    Same here! Sometimes it seems that the molts go on forever!

I was under the weather yesterday (migraine) so my hubby took over birdie activities and entertainment for me. He told me I had to take a quick look at all the feathers in the bird room, he was sure something had happened to one of them during the night. I did check and it was the normal amount of feathers that I find every day during a molt but I guess they've been vacuumed before my hubby noticed them before. He is not really a bird person other than Oliver who we all consider a family pet but he spent hours with all three of them. I did hear a little cussing a time or two....I'm sure Big Boi was preening him a little too hard!
    Janie

Oliver, RIP
    Big Boi
    Shy

So far the current run for moulting here is up to 10 weeks....that's cause they don't all start at the same time.....feathers, feathers, and more feathers. And how those feathers can get into the window across the room is something to ponder...I vacuum out each window and around each cage on a daily schedule. by the time I finish, I could start all over again

thanks all for your replies.. Biscuit is my first bird so i really do not know what to expect... on the lighter side though, I think she's beginning to bond with em. She already willingly comes over to me just to sit at my shoulder... not bad for a parent raised bird huh?
    Mandy

Not at all bad for a parent raised bird! My Oliver was also parent raised and came from some kind of pet store in SC. His former owner tells me he was always friendly, from day one. Go figure!
    Janie

Oliver, RIP
    Big Boi
    Shy

speaking of molting, does anybody else save the feathers?
    how do you wash them?
    i was thinking in a bucket with a touch of bleach, swish them around and use a strainer to get them out.
    cheryl & sweetypie

Quote Originally Posted by cheryl View Post
    speaking of molting, does anybody else save the feathers?
    how do you wash them?
    i was thinking in a bucket with a touch of bleach, swish them around and use a strainer to get them out.
    I save all feathers large enough to use in a dream catcher. I have made three dream catchers (actually Shy made them and I added the feathers) with Oliver's feathers and have enough for 5 more! I have a zip lock bag full with the feathers of my other two and will add them to another dream catcher when I can get Shy to send one to me! Why would you want to wash them? Do you think they're dirty? My lovies feathers are as clean as a whistle when they molt them.
    Janie

Oliver, RIP
    Big Boi
    Shy

I plan on keeping all of Celestes feathers and use them in some sort of art form. They're so beautiful I couldn't throw them away.