Thread: confused

Question confused

hi, haven't been on in quite awhile, I'm lola and rico's dad, chris.Well..... let me refrain that I'm Rica and lolo"s dad. I've had my birds since last febuary, (since they were eight weeks old) they have since matured and switched gengers lol. My question is this, when do they, or should i saw when do they first lay eggs? I'm pretty sure they are getting close. should i introduce a nesting box? now or discourage all the paper shreadding, also are they too young to be having there first clutch? thanks, chris

Default Re: confused

From what Ive read. I would not Introduce a Nest Box. If you in fact have a male and a female and they are to young to breed then this could be a risk for them. Egg Binding is one of those risks of breeding to young. Which is when an egg becomes stuck/broken insdie the female and can be fatal quick without vet treatment Immediately.
    Im new to lovebirds and hope some of the other more experienced ones can help you out more.
    Kelly

and welcome back I guess I should say!
    Im new myself. I get my first lovebird Late Nov-Early Dec YAY!!
    Hope to see you around here more. Would love to see pics of yor lovies to!!
    Kelly

thax kelly, and welcome too! they are ahandful they are

Hi Chris,

From what I can figure, your lovies are 10-11 mos old right now? While breeding at that age is not necessarily recommened or very desirable, it isn't unheard of... That being said, I don't think I would encourage it right now either. You might try removing shredibles and rearranging their cage(s). Take away things that would encourage them to start nesting (like happy huts) and restrict daylight hours.

If in spite of this eggs do appear, then you'll want to go ahead and let her have a place to lay the eggs and let her finish laying completely. Of course then you'll have to make the decision of what to do if the eggs are fertile too... So hopefully you'll be able to head this off before it becomes an issue.

I'm sure some of the experienced breeders will put in their two cents here too.

Good luck! and keep us updated
    rachel
    "She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined.
    She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot." -Mark Twain

I agree with Rachel if she begins to lay then I would go ahead and let her have a place to lay and stuff to build a nest. If you take these eggs away then she could continually keep laying them causing pure Exhastion. This is Very Bad for her health. If they are all in Infertile then you need to leave them there and she will eventually Abandon them.
    If they are Fertile then you need to start planning on some babies IF you decide you want babies. Make sure you have enough space and all the other Neccessary Resources to care for baby lovebirds before making any decisions though.
    But, this is all in the matter if she does Lay Eggs.
    Do you have a Cuttlebone or some other form of Calcium in her cage to?
    Kelly