Thread: conure question..

Default conure question..

My birthday is coming up fast, and my girlfriend wants to get me a fancy green cheek conure named Skittles, from a Petco near here that I visit regularly. I like the guy a lot, but obviously worry about the dynamic he'd share being housed next to Archimedes and Amadeus. I'm also worried specifically for Archimedes, since he still seems attached to me over Amadeus. was anyone else ever in a similar situation? I know Skittles would be well cared for; I have enough space in my small room for him next to the big cage, and between me, my girlfriend, and my mom, he'll get a ton of interaction. Any stories/advice/opinions welcome

Default Re: conure question..

If Skittles will be well looked after, and Archimedes and Amadeus won't be at risk of neglect, I think adopting this Conure sounds like a grand idea.

Not knowing much about the dynamics of multiple bird households, all I can offer is that you are the only one who can decide whether to bring a new parrot into your home.

Personally, I don't think I could resist a Conure.
    Only when the last tree has died,
    and the last river been poisoned,
    and the last fish been caught,
    will we realise we cannot eat money.

i absolutely LOVE my green cheek obie. i too, only live in a one bird house, so i don't know how they interact with lovebirds firsthand....

i just wanted to remind you about quarantine. the first 30 days skittle is with you he would have to be kept in another room away from the lovebirds. use this time to strengthen the bond between the two of you and to build trust then introduce him to the other birds slowly, and never unsupervised!!

I actually was in the exact situation that you are in when I got my first GCC. My Bela was, and still is to some extent more bonded to me than he is his mate Lacey. He loves Lacey, but still, given the choice, he will want to be with me Anyway, he absolutely detests my GCC, maybe because Cappie is also as bonded to me as Bela is himself. As always, it will depend on the individual bird, but I would not expect them to get along well, or possibly even be able to spend time out of their cages together.

GCC's are wonderful little parrots, but I will forewarn you that they are a little nippy. I wouldn't say they are biting out of meaness, but it is in their nature, and most everyone I've ever spoken to, say's their GCC has gone through nippy stages, more nippier at times than others. That said, their beak is bigger, but does not pierce nearly as much as a lovies does, but it does have more pressure. Still, it's not a bad nip/bite, and I think mine are worth every little nip
    "Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath
    her, still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings."
    -Victor Hugo

Lori