Thread: Gracie: Always Something New

Default Gracie: Always Something New

It's been a while since I've posted any bird updates, let alone a Gracie update. Now I've finally got something to report.

She and George got their flights trimmed a couple of days ago. Now, those of you who know Gracie, know that trying to touch her at all is potentially putting your hands at risk. :eek: So, I have always toweled her in order for Tim to do the wing clipping.

This time, I don't know why, I transferred her from the towel to holding her in my hands in the recommended hold. She can bite my fingers in that position. She could also wiggle herself out of it. But after giving my index finger just a little beak graze, she settled right down and I was about to pet her beak and head. Her eyes looked very calm, and it really made my day!

The next day she demonstrated that she can get her food door open, after dumping the food of course. It's always a mixed bag with her!
    Barb

Happiness is a firm banana

Default Re: Gracie: Always Something New

Yeah! That's great, Barb. You have to wonder what goes on in their cute little heads. One day after years of "BITE", she thinks... maybe I'll just look at my momma! It's a good lesson to remember for all of us, our birds will continue to learn and change as they please - even when we've had them for a few years. Thanks for the update!
    Suzanne

Barb,

I don't know what in the world you are talking about????? That little Ms. Gracie is just a sweetheart. I can't imagine her doing you bodily harm

Seriously, you have given Gracie nothing but love and the space she's needed to become the sweetie pie she seems to have inside. I know how much you adore her, so I also know that this moment most likely brought tears to your eyes, with that big tender heart you have.

I do love to hear about your Gracie moments, all of them, the good ones, and the mischevious ones
    "Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath
    her, still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings."
    -Victor Hugo

Lori

Well, I didn't quite cry, but it's one of those moments that I can always use when I need to smile, really smile from my heart. There was something in her eyes that was beautiful, sweet, and so trusting.

Then again, maybe I just caught her offguard. If I tried it again, she might try to rip me a new one! But there was a time when you could *never* catch her offguard. She was always on high alert. Thinking about how far she has come, makes me smile too.

That little beak of hers taught me to respect her plenty!

Oh, today she held the food window open while George climbed out...
    Barb

Happiness is a firm banana

Oh, today she held the food window open while George climbed out...
    she might allow you the priviledge of holding her, but she's gonna make some real mischief so you know she's still in charge!
    Suzanne